Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dilbert fowl bloopers

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by fowlwhacker, Jan 10, 2017.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

so it has been a while since folks have shared some of their stories. My daughter burned her new jacket getting to close to the heater in the pit last week.

Last week I was hunting the water for divers with a couple friends. one has several custom PVC floats with various spinners on them some wind operated and some battery operated. mid way through the hunt it appeared that one of his PVC floats was listing with two of the batter operated spinners. we all looked at it and all seemed to think it was starting to list but he said it would be okay and should hold up until we had our limit. Well it wasn't long afterwards the float went from listing to a complete flip over. he then decided it was time go out and see if we could rescue the spinners so out the blind we go scurring. and yes while we are out their fumbling around we have a giant flock of divers decoy in belly up and laugh at us as the buzz out.

I had a neoprene surf jacket on and said I would reach down but he said he had it and took off his jacket and a couple of layers to his bottom sweat shirt and pulled up his sleeve as far as he could up to his armpit.. he was worried that he would lose the magnetic wings as he had a sinker before and when trying to retrieve it lost a wing I went out with him and again asked it he wanted me to reach down and he said nope.

so he begins the long reach down and something happened (he said he got hypothermia) and he lost his balance and completely fell over. well you could imagine how funny this was to myself and his nephew. he didn't think it was all that funny though. we eventually scooted the spinners with our feet to shallow water and then he had to trek back to the truck to get change into some warm clothes.

A week prior a die hard 870 shooter had recently got a new semi auto 1187 and it was jamming. Well I think we got real close to seeing a gun thrown out in the river. he said it will be last time we ever see him with an autoloader again.

I always tell everyone each time we take the boat out and it starts, floats and gets us back to ramp safely it was a good trip whether we get any fish, crabs, ducks or geese.

Lets hear some of the bloopers you all have had or been around this year.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Saturday a novice buddy was begging to help pick up decoys, mind you it was awful out and I was already frustrated that they had left a goose hunt early, with my truck, to go back to the house to "get a start on picking up decoys" at the shore blind but instead got the fire going and had cocktails in hand when I walked in the door. I should has suspected something was up when they called me and asked me to stop off at the liquor store on the way home. Anyway I relent, hand him the carabiner for the texas rigs. First decoy he drops the clip in the water.

November split, thinking that I'm taller than I am, went over my waders, killed my phone.
    December split, found out how steep the drop off is at our muddy creek spot, it was like a mud stairmaster set on super high. That was at 6:30 am, I got dry clothes on at 4:30pm
    December split, decide to put the breathables away and wear the neoprenes. Get to blindsite, step out of boat, feel rush of water onto my feet. Buddy offers me extra pair in his truck back at ramp, tells me "do not look around in backseat, I bought some stuff for my wife that you don't wanna see". Eeeewww!

3. SkeeterMD

SkeeterMD Elite Refuge Member

I have no unfortunate stories, but it would appear I am sometimes featured in those of others.
    Skeeter

The Other David likes this.
  4. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

First split had a goose stand up on top of my decoys and try to fly out of the bed of my truck.

Had Geese finishing at the edge of the decoys, couple groups, 24 shots between the two of us killed 2 birds. They looked far but I figured edge of decoys probably on 45-50. On picking up edge of the decoys was actually closer to 60. Didn't help the blind was 5-10 yards back in the corn.

Was making a 100 yard retrieve on a goose without my gun. Looked pretty dead. 50 yards away it stands up starts running. Wild goose chase ensues, I am not a fast man. End up tackling 10 pound bird at full sprint. That didnt kill it. Wrang it's neck, that didnt kill it. Put a knife through the back of its head, no dice. Feel pretty terrible about that one.

Wet field duck hunt, managed to drop my call on a 200 yard walk to retrieve a bird. Found it two days later no worse for the ware, using a lanyard again.

Saturday in the snow storm freezing my *** off broke the head of one of my buddies full bodies. Feel really bad about that one. Avian-X has pretty good customer service though so I am hoping to give him a shiny(hopefully not) new one.

Prettiest finish of ducks in a field I have ever seen. 2 of 3 guns jammed.

5. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Got my bow line tangled in my prop last week.

6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

for those that have bought bigfoot bull body goose decoys you know that the box isn't big enough for all 4 decoys and 2 of the full body decoys ae always indented on a side. the screw on heads are a pain to screw on when they are cold and now that the heads are made in yingyang China many crack as you attempt to screw them on. You can usually just blow into the hole in the back of the decoys to push the indentation out if it is warm. Now no smart azz comments about blowing the goose decoy from you all. when the decoys are cold the decoy blow job doesn't work to push out the indented side to well. you blow the indentation open up but typically comes back. so I had the bright idea of bringing in the new decoys and putting them near the woodstove to warm up. Had been working pretty good for a while on several 4 packs as they would expand on their own for the most part and if not a short blast of air in the whole in the tail of the decoy would typically expand the indented side and it would stay expanded.

well with the weather cold recently, I had the woodstove insert packed with oak and locust and the damper wide open trying to get as much heat out of the thing as possible so the heat pump wouldn't come on and increase my bill to BG&E. I had put a 4 pack of new decoys near the woodstove and went over a while later to check on them. well one must of been to close and instead of the indentation on the side expanding I quickly saw the whole side massively indented. I quickly moved it away from the woodstove and lightly blew into the tail hole hoping to save the decoy. Well it expanded alright but went right beyond the typical uniform position and blew the side out like a balloon with the decoy so hot and soft. Needless to say I have one decoy now that has a case of bloat on the side. the bigfoots are not known for their anatomic life like detail as it is.

7. Keith McGowan

Keith McGowan Elite Refuge Member

and to think I thought a man of your experience would have made sure his bow painter was a hair too short for that...

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Bigfoot story, now that was a good one.

9. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

It's good now!

Keith McGowan likes this.
  10. SkeeterMD

SkeeterMD Elite Refuge Member

Is that like a 'rusty trombone"?
    Not a smart azz comment, just an innocent question.
    Your friend,
    Skeeter