Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dilbert fowl bloopers

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by fowlwhacker, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

If you want to call that day "winter". Placid and warm. I had a gaff in the boat in case he went overboard on the very short ride to the ramp.

2. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Had one happen today.... Me and two buds on a quick before work hunt. Bud #1 and Bud #2 are lifelong friends that remind me of Laurel and Hardy. Bud #1 accidentally gets bud #2's gloves wet when he knocked them off the sled while picking up the decoys. Bud #2 5 minutes later sees a set of gloves on a marsh set and throws them in the water. Bud #1 holds his hands up with gloves on and says nice try. Bud #2 has apologized to me at least 3 times today. Bud #2 will get his payback at the time and place of my choosing.... Most likely on the next frigid day when we are dealing with ice flow:dv

3. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Same boat that tried to kill me!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    bombman likes this.
  4. MDbowman

MDbowman Elite Refuge Member

[QUOTE="Marshbum, post: 10701111, member: 37 Bud #2 will get his payback at the time and place of my choosing.... Most likely on the next frigid day when we are dealing with ice flow:dv[/QUOTE]

Sounds fair enough but sadly it looks like you are going to have to wait until next year!!

5. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Well...today wood ducks came in as usual..."right at" legal shooting time. Several were whacked, one was crippled swimming across the pond. The Mallards fell in just after the first two woodies were retrieved. The dog was held. When all the smoke settled I went to the other side of the pond to handle a crippled mallard while the dog handled the basic retrieving chores. Mr. Crippled Woodrow had made his way out of the pond onto the dirt road when I stumbled upon him while in chase of the green head. He was quicker than I, and in efforts to stop him I used my gun barrel to thwart his escape back to the pond. Once in hand I turned my attention to the mallard. Before pullin on the greenhead I thought to check the barrel for obstructions. There was nearly two inches of mud stuck in the barrel. Firing a shot would have been tragic. Finding the right branch to adequately clear the obstruction took much longer than anticipated. One cleared the chase was resumed. Mr. Mallard was subsequently dispatched without further consequence. Dilbert move avoided.

6. mrsteve

mrsteve Senior Refuge Member

Woke up early Friday because I had to pick up trailer with decoys from one farm to travel back 30 minutes to another farm where we were setting up to hunt. Hooked up trailer around 630am. Got 3 minutes away from farm we were hunting, hit bump in the road, trailer falls off the the ball at about 20 mph. Scared the **** out of me. In my rush that morning I forgot to latch the hitch onto the ball. Can't fathom how other than I probably got distracted messing around with something else. Ripped the trailer wiring all to hell and dented the front side of the trailer when it came to a crashing halt against the ball hitch. Could have been a lot worse.

Later that morning my buddy and I teamed up on the first single that came in. A few minutes later we had a pair decoy in close. I dropped mine stone cold but my buddy's fell crippled. I send the dog after the cripple first. She tackles it but my little 55lb lab struggles with carrying big honkers so I tell her to leave it rather than screwing around with it. Send her on the smaller goose I dropped and my buddy picks up his cripple. We drop the pair of birds behind the blind with the single we dropped a few minutes prior. 30 minutes later a flock commits and I tell my buddy to take one which he promptly does. Dog retrieves. We walk around the blind to put down the 4th goose and start cleaning up. But we only have two geese. He insists the cripple he shot early was dead when he dropped it. Not so. His cripple goose must have walked or flown away. We hunted another two hours. My buddy went home with one goose and a lot of laughs.