Disc or mow ?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cedarlakeforge, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

i need some help. The land I hunt is in the wrp (wetland restoration program) the wrp guy says I should disc the duck hunting area rather than mow. I noticed some ground was mowed last year and it came back this year in really nice thick millet. Has any one delt with this befor ? Or does it matter ?

2. GooseNukem

GooseNukem Refuge Member

If you've got a nice seed bank of different millets then I would just mow it. I have a wrp unit that gets drawn down early and lots of garbage comes up because of that. I wait till sometime in July to mow it and it comes up in thick barnyard grass walters millet, and sedges every time. Every location is different of course and what kind of seed bank you have established. I believe I've disked my wrp unit twice in ten years and both time its been disked I've got a resurgence of some nasty invasives that I worked hard to get under control. That's been my experience anyway.

3. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

Thanks GooseNukem , I think I will just mow it. Thanks for the info

4. HuntTilDusk

HuntTilDusk New Member

NRCS is wanting you to disk because they want to get the seed bank going, or to get a more diverse weed bed. as GooseNukem said if you have the seed bed there of millet I would just mow it so you don't get noxious weeds started. That's our biggest problem any exposed ground ends up Canada thistle very shortly