Distance casting from the shore

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by marsh fox, Jan 9, 2013.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I have never been that much of a fishing fan, but i started shore fishing about 5 years ago seriously for european sea bass and smothounds in the uk, and caried on fishing for smothounds in new zealand.
    The bass fishing is generaly close range 50 yards from shore or so, but the smoothounds / gummy sharks take some reaching.
    I have built up a fair collection of rods/ reels now for distance casting, got some advice from a good grass court caster whos info proved valuable to my development. I have perfected my technique now to such an extent a genuine 150 or so yard cast wth bait is now a real possibility for me and a plain casting lead over a field i can hit 250 yards quite reliably now.
    Some of the rods i have acuired for this task long range shore anging include century wr 300 and zziplex 427 to name just two, reels mainly use diawa tornement or penn 525s or slosh 20s for rough/ rocky ground. i use an old penn squider 140 on occasion no brakes but casts very well for an antique. but takes some controling .
    I run the rods reel at the bottom for these purposes and like them down there.
    Any do this kind of long distance fishing or casting over there, and any on this board for that matter.

2. Bird Watcher

Bird Watcher Senior Refuge Member

A lot of guys that fish below dams here in the Midwest get into the long distance casting. Most of the time you have a minimum distance that you must maintain from the dam face and it will be restricted access beyond that point. I've talked to quite a few guys over the years that buy long distance casting rods from England so that they can make long (150-250 yd) casts to the dam face from restricted boundary.

3. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I took up surf fishing about three yrs ago. I have a 15' and 12" casting rod and a 10' spinning rod.

I live about 7 hrs from the gulf of mexico, so I only make it down a few times each year. My casting is getting better, but I'm nowhere near 250 yd cast. if I can get past the breakers, I'm happy!

I fish mainly for seatrout, redfish, pompano, and whiting. I catch mostly slimy catfish.

Very relaxing way to fish!