Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Dive Bomb

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Jan 30, 2018.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Anyone run the dive bomb socks? I currently have deadlies and rocks but $400 for 10dz it’s tempting. The wire stake would be real nice in frozen ground but my concern is will the wire stake make the decoy bounce real bad in high winds. The last two springs we’ve had 20-40 mph winds.

Thanks and only 3 weeks til my sanity and sleep are out the door!!!!!

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I got 10dz last year after the spring season and set just a few this last weekend for the first time. Here's my limited experience and take on them. 1) nice looking sock 2) the wire stake is nice but if there is any resistance going into the ground, it'll take 2 hands to get them in 3) the wire backbone is kind of adjustable as you can set it to angle the decoy down a bit in high winds. Don't know if that was the plan, but you can. It will take 2 hands to "unfold" the backbone as there is no automatic opening like whiterocks do. They will close with 1 hand as you push the backbone down against your body. 3) very lightweight 4) I'm not sure how well they will hold in very soft ground and high winds cause of how small the stake is. If you know how sillosocks can "round out" the hole in the ground in soft ground and higher winds, I fear with these standing taller and catching more wind, they will fall over unless you have the stakes in the ground an extended amount. 5) pulling the decoys out of the ground by the piece where the stake/backbone meet will put alot of pressure on how the decoy is connected, time will tell how well that is made.

3. marshmob

I might wait for your post season review then.

4. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

Been running a couple hundred 1st generation headless for two season and ran a dz headed last season. I add more bend to the backbone of the newer ones. Gives a better look especially when stake isn't perfectly straight. Don't have as good of look/movement as Sillosocks in light wind but much better in higher winds. Ordered another dz headed and five dz silos for this spring. Only brand I'm currently buying.

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

May I ask where you found them at that price?

Thanks

6. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

That is the normal price for headless on their website. Headed run $500.

7. marshmob

Yup on their site.

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Guess my wife is right....I can’t see anything even when it’s right in front of me

Thanks

timber hunter likes this.