Dive Bombs and froze ground ?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by negooseman, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

It's just a guide. It just sits there. Set it down, pound your two holes, pick it up, place deke. Repeat.

2. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

For some reason some people cannot grasp the template idea that Native suggests.

I would suggest that the template be made from a small piece of marine plywood with the two guide holes drilled into it. Add a handle to ease in moving around. Spay paint it blaze orange or neon green to that you can easily spot it and/or add a reflective sticker to ease in spotting it if set down and misplaced in the dark.

One template for each drill being used.

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You could probably use a thick pole as a handle/brace set in the middle. Give you something to lean against instead of having to kneel down to drill. Holes on either side. Bright color is a good idea too.

4. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0936.JPG Down sides: thin wire stakes get bent making it more difficult to line up two holes even with a template, drilling two holes instead of one, decoys are shiny; shallow holes or larger holes in wind results in decoy movement and flash flaring birds.

I would make your own out of coroplast. Single heavy duty stake. Added contrast. I ran 4 dz customs and 4 dz divebombs for nearly 3 weeks this year. Over 90% of birds landed in the customs.

5. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

Could you post up some close ups of the customs? I've been debating either painting or flocking all my silos into black and whites. Mix of db's, rg's and big als.

6. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

Cut one of the stakes off so that it's about an inch long.

7. goosenazi

IMG_1063.JPG From todays hunt. I will take a few close ups tomorrow if I remember

8. goosenazi

I usually run the color painted customs like in both pictures above. I hope to have all the b&ws done for next season. Maybe @dvegas can post up a closeup of his customs.

9. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

Well Nazi since you asked...

As you can all probably tell these are truly "custom" decoys. Each is hand painted with pain staking care and precision.

Attached Files:

1quacker likes this.
  10. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

If the sun is out I will try to get some action photos later today