Decoy Forum Sponsors

Divebomb Silos

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Sstwrt226, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Edizkan Adil Ata

Edizkan Adil Ata New Member

I've been hunting with the 5 dozen non-flocked Dive Bombs this season and they do work to a point. They catch attention of the geese but I also saw a lot of flares. We used them in cloudy days, sunny days, over flooded field... I also saw them bringing in the Canada's over snow while hunting for snow geese in upstate New York. That being said; they are smaller -by a lot, than Big Al's. They do have some glare to them even though they are matte paint. I bought them because they were cheaper than Big Al's (also Big Al is out of stock on the Greaters) but after seeing so many birds flaring I wanna check out Big Al's X-14 or just black and whites to compare them. Silos are definitely lighter in the budget and in the bag compared to full bodies.

dives.jpg

Big AL1 likes this.
  2. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

I can honestly say I haven't seen any glare at all from my divebombs. (Even live geese have shine to them). I have used divebombs a lot in past 2 seasons with great success. I think big Al's on sunny days has more of a "washed out" look to them compared to divebombs. I do have 2 dozen big Al's also that I have mixed in. Big Al's are more brown than black. Stakes are little thicker also. There is a learning curve using skinnies. I feel just how you set them can effect how the birds react to them. I hunt NY too and have no trouble finishing big flocks of late season geese with divebombs. Couple hunts over divebombs if any cares to watch. I have no affiliations with divebombs

3. Edizkan Adil Ata

Edizkan Adil Ata New Member

As you pointed out, they do work, but like everything else, the setup and conditions are more important variables. I have killed geese with just these dive bombs, not adding full bodies or shells. I also killed geese with just black & white wooden silos. But there were days geese totally ignored the silhouettes and I suspected the glare combined with wind motion may be the reason. They were almost flashing the geese. For the next season I wanna buy 5 dz of dive bomb windsocks. Like the motion and we have nothing but wind here in Rhode Island.
    Sweet videos btw.

4. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

I think some geese just know decoys are decoys or they just don't want to be where you want them to be. I always blame the decoys too if birds don't decoy. Could been the hide or whatever it may have been, maybe the birds just had another place in mind. My one buddy wants to try the divebomb socks next year. I think I will let him be the guinea pig on that. I see the white rock guys use their socks with success. So I'd imagine they do work. Good luck!

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Glare is HIGHLY overrated. Think of a mirror. It sits straight up and down. The sun is up. The 'glare' goes into the ground. I guess, at sunrise, in flat country, for 30 minutes, it could exist. If you decoys are sideways to the ground, that isn't the fault of the decoy, but of the hunter.

I hunted with Outlaws. Those were black and white mirrors. I killed geese.

Billy Bob likes this.
  6. Sstwrt226

Sstwrt226 New Member

Awesome stuff appreciate the info. Ive hunted over real geese before but only once no one in my area runs silos which is another reason I decided to get them. Trying to change things up and stand out from the crowd. I realize there’s a learning curve with silos do you have any advice you could offer.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Spread them out 3 to 5 steps between them, maybe more.

8. msk

msk Refuge Member

Running 5 doz DB, 5 Doz Als, and 30 Pro 2 RG's. The RG's shine the least. Like NONE. Both DB and Al's have some shine on sunny days util the sun is high enough. One thing I learned this yr is the Al's are much better in frozen ground. With the bigger dia stake, you can hammer into the ground with a mallet. DB's have a flimsy stake that doesnt work as well. The DB are more gray than the Al's which are more brown. I'd buy either again. Price is about the same with sales or if you buy from rogers shipping is free over $100.

9. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I tried silos most of this season and I’m not convinced. Sunny days, cloudy, wind, no wind, family groups or a big wad, in fields to pastures with stock ponds, permanent blind to A-frames etc etc. We typically spaced em around 5 steps facing all directions or within a 180 degree range in higher winds. Birds wound give us a look but hard to get them finished. I’ll still keep them for days we have to walk in but thinking fb’s might work better.

10. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

I always had way more success and thought they looked much better with silos run much tighter than everyone recommends.