Diver Convert?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Woody, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Woody

Woody Elite Refuge Member

Last hunt of the year, pretty satisfied!

TooTall likes this.
  2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Very nice & an old hump back Browning!

Ringbill

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Out of curiosity, how many of those 1009 lakes are huntable?

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

There is something about old humpback Brownings and diver hunting that just seem to fit together.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

ABM hunting......"anything but mallards". I cut my teeth on diver hunting, and it is my favorite. Nothing in the world sounds like bills cutting the wind over the blocks.

creedsduckman likes this.
  6. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Growing up in N MN I was raised diver hunting. We'd get early season puddlers and an occasional late season mallard shoot but it was mainly a diver thing. I'm just a young buck so I missed the bluebill glory days that my old man and grandpa talk about. I was on the verge of becoming a field hunting mallard snob for a bit in my younger days. This year really made me appreciate the divers again. Found a little hole holding thousands of ringers that wasn't getting any pressure. The show the birds put on was amazing. Something any duck hunter would be in awe if they experienced it. The sounds of jets ripping down with birds coming out of the clouds and working around the slough was quite the experience. It really wasn't about the shooting at that point although there was plenty of that. You'd hear em coming before you'd see em. Flocks of a thousand + strong crashing down. It really revived my love for divers. Ringers and goldies remain my favorite. I still do a week long trip to the prairies to get under some tornados of mallards but I don't think I could ever abandon chasing that great spectacle the divers put on, especially the ringers. I'm glad you could experience what it's all about.

7. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

I new to this site and I'm glad it has a place just for the diver hunters. Nobody where I'm from really hunt them and they wonder why I do. I'm glad they don't understand it because its less people on the lake trying to kill them. I don't get big groups like that, we get flocks of 30-40. I would love to find a place to go and see what you all are seeing.

Ringbill likes this.
  8. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

And to see the vidz and pic from those two glorious hunts see the Chessie and NJ forums.

9. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

IMO, what Feathers experienced is pretty rare & the "good norm" is what you are seeing when you can work a nice flock of 20---40 or so.
    Up here, most of the lakes are 'huntable', but of course not as good as some of the better duckin' waters. As FEATHERS mentioned too, if yur young & energetic enough, you can get into some remote waters, where the birds don't see much pressure. In decades past, I did a lot of that, but now my age & artificial hips won't allow me to hunt that way. It sure was exciting when I was young, but my God---the work it took!

Ringbill

10. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Spot on. Other than the young and energetic part. I'm getting too old for this....

Those experiences are certainly rare and something to remember. If I can have a day I get nice flocks of 10+ birds in life is good.