Diver decoy questions

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by CJ MN Waterfowl, Apr 7, 2017.

1. CJ MN Waterfowl

CJ MN Waterfowl New Member

Diver hunting in MN we have at chance at most diver species.What kind of diver decoy spread would you put out using cans, red heads, ring bills, bluebills, buffleheads, golden eyes? What species go together, which ones separate themselves? Thanks for your help

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Here in michigan on the great lakes, we'll run mostly bluebills, redheads, and, canvasback on long lines together with a few ringbills and GE mixed in. We put a couple lines of bufflehead decoys off to one side by themselves.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I do the same on a Saginaw Bay. Long lines of redheads and BB. Then cans on their own and Butterballs on their own. Butterballs will go right to their own.

GE seem to love to decoy tonthe butterballs.

4. Patodor

Patodor Refuge Member

Agreed. We see the bluebills and redheads trading together so will mix those strings. The cans are usually put towards the head of the rig or nearest our shooting lane. If someone has bufflehead decoys to put out, we might drop 1 or 2 in the hole or to the side on their own for color. Don't shoot GE... don't see many.

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I run mainly bluebills with cans own their own main lines. A few buffs in a small group. In MN throwing out some ringers is a good ideal early and I throw some goldeneyes in the mix later in the season when the November whistlers pass through.

6. CJ MN Waterfowl

7. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Hello CJ & welcome to the REFUGE. You'll find a lot of good info in here & have some fun too.
    I'm here in northern Minnie, & it's mostly diver hunting here.
    I don't use the gang lines, putting mine out singly.
    I start my season with Separate groups of Ringers & Redheads, more puddle ducks the first few weeks.
    As I pull out my woodies & teal, I add more Ringers & add cans to my redheads----I always group my cans & redheads together, then put some wigeons right next to them----close. Again, Ringers are grouped separate,
    Ringers are the only diver decoys that I run a good size group, from opener until freezeup----because there are ALWAYS some around.

About the 20th of October, I add a small group of buffies---off by themselves. They are out now, til freezeup, & their numbers in my rig increase too. Later, in November, I'll add some Goldeneyes too, close to the Buffies.

Bluebills are very scarce here in Minnie, since their flyway moved west thru North Dakota, starting in the early 90s. There are 1009 lakes in this county I live in, but the scaup just aren't here anymore. Very sad. Non the less, I don't put out a big spread any longer, but starting later in October, I'll put a small flock off to the side & run them until freezeup.

Ringbill

8. CJ MN Waterfowl

Awesome information. I hunt in western mn and we get a good mix. Great point on bluebills staying on the Dakota Flyway. I have plenty of decoys,just looking for new ways to decoy divers. Thanks again,appreciate it.