Diver decoys

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by jbrown, Jan 18, 2017.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

when using long lines, do you mix blue bills, redheads, cans and buffleheads, or kind of keep them separate? If you were targeting buffleheads, how many decoys, do you set other divers decoys also?

2. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

If you want to shoot buffleheads, get five or six bufflehead decoys, mostly hens and nothing else. You will not find any other set up that is more effective for just killing them. You probably won't decoy a lot of other species though.

They will decoy to big spreads but often times flare outside the decoys.

LongPutt likes this.
  3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

While I don't use long lines, I like to set some buffies in the last half of our season. I keep them separate, tho I don't specifically hunt for them . it's my belief, that once I am seeing buffies in our area, it makes my whole ste look a little more natural & diverse by setting Buffie decoys. I generally set maybe 8-10, basically 50/50 ratio. I clump them tight & 'out of the way' from the Ringer & Redhead decoy pods & landing holes.
    Those buffs just always pull right into those decoys, like they're on a suicide mission & seldom circle.

Ringbill

4. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Since we see quite a few buffleheads we bought some decoys of them. This year the buffs have not been far from our can decoy line. The cans and scaulp landed right on the diver line with buffs as singles. fireduck

5. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

I use one Buffy drake on the end of the line with about 5 yards gap between him and the rest and it always seems to work here

6. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I have 3 long lines blackheads, cans, ringneck i also use buffle heads and other divers without long lining them but put my bufflehead close to the blackheads

7. puddle-head

puddle-head Senior Refuge Member

I mix the bluebills, cans and redhead decoys together, and will toss a tight group of 3 bufflehead on either side of my longlines. As others have pointed out, the buffleheads will usually decoy directly to those.

Mixing birds (except buffies) I think helps and I haven't seen it hurt me yet. The white on the cans and bluebills is what the birds will really see at a distance and hone in on. I was set up Friday with 4 longlines of surf scoter, two lines of bluebills and 2 lines of redheads. At a distance of about a half-mile, all I could see was the white flashes from the bluebill decoys. Everything else faded into the waves. This is where magnum decoys really are worth their weight - the huge G&H decoys can be seen from very far away. I mix these with a larger number of regular decoys to give the spread some mass when the birds get closer.

One other trick is to use a large decoy with lots of white as your first or last bird on each line. That makes it easier to see in the dark, and also make it clearer which bird is the last bird on the line if things get messy.