Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Diver hunters check this out!

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by 7grnhds, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

Great pic's guys.....but what were ya thinking...:confused: :dv
    I use to thrash scissor bills myself......but I don't eat them. I always gave them away.....I don't know anyone here that eats them...so I don't shoot them.
    What one man thinks is gross and disgusting another thinks it's cool....be it right or wrong.
    Morals, ethics, and all that hokie pokie stuff. No one will ever plz everyone...so just plug away at what you do best.

2. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

Ok I asked why Tom Matus was disliked. Well needless to say I have been filled in by quite a few p.m.s some from people I trust to be some of the most honest people on earth. Jeff and Jack, glad you had a good time. Tom you are the definition of A-Hole. Sue me.

3. Ducks Doom

More like good place to get shot. The only shooting in Detroit is shooting back at whos robbing you.:dv

4. Dwane O.

Dwane O. Senior Refuge Member

I did, not that big of a deal. Even publicized a smaller area than you have there. So what... It's my spot, I spent over 100 days a year there. I knew no weekend warrior was gonna come in from Idaho after watching the show and out hunt me. Just as I would hope that some dope from Detroit shouldn't be able to come over there and out hunt you. You guys need to give yourselves more credit and realize that a post on the internet about goldeneyes in Idaho isn't gonna start the next frickin' gold rush!

Never met Jack, but yep, I know Jeff and Tommy, and have hunted w/ both of them. Doesn't have much to do w/ anything I've posted though... It is what it is. I just posted my opinion. If you don't wanna hunt around other people I guess you need to start buying some land. I'm sure there are places along the bank for sale, step up.

Here's a question: For everyone that is bent over this... How did each of you find that spot? Out for a stroll one day? I'm not from around there, but isn't that kind of out of the way from just about anything? I mean, unless you're a cattle farmer or live in that little town - pop: 49?

As long as we live these facts will remain:
    People are gonna travel, and locals are gonna disapprove.
    Neither party will ever see the side of the other.

You guys musta been HE!! on the new kid in school.

5. Ducks Doom

I could care less about a few guys coming to hunt here and having fun. I don't even have a problem with the video. Hell I probably will buy one. I do have a problem with some transplant from back east throwing a fit and bieng a general *** about my hunting partner posting pictures of G.E on the Snake. Then turns around and hosts a big time hunt and video shoot. I don't care much for hypocrytes. O and yes a lot of us do live in that little town. Me I'm 10 minutes from a limit of G.E. My hunting partner 2 minutes. How did I find these spots? Yeah come to think about it I was out for a stroll when I found it, a stroll in diapers. You are right about people whining about out of staters it will happen until the end of time. I think this post has two kinds of people flaming on it. One is the people who just plain hate Matus which is apperrantly half the state. The other is people who hate that those guys came here in the first place and put it on the refuge. I for one think those guys should come out and hunt any time they want. Good for them, I'd even like to see their pics. I just don't think they should tell anyone they were with Tommy the tommygun Matus.:l

6. 7grnhds

7grnhds Banned

I know what I saw and heard on the river Friday. But go ahead and call me a liar. See if I give two sheets what you think.

Still waiting on that pm....

7. wodtheiii

wodtheiii Senior Refuge Member

Whether its by video, over the internet, by mail, by phone or over a few beers; news about a good thing (or spot) is going to spread. Its always just a matter of time.

8. Hambone

Hambone Elite Refuge Member

wodtheii, (what is that some kind of Celtic God? :l ) I agree with you, it always gets out. Unless you zip your lip. Even then somebody hears the gunfire, moseys around and finds your spot. Then it gets shot out, the birds move on and we start over. At least thats been my MO for years. Find em, enjoy it whilst you can then start looking. I'm an educator and don't have the $$ to buy up and post my own land so I keep a movin'. Besides, my experience is when you buy land you spend all your time keepin' poachers run off and you sit in the same place daily and wait on the ducks to come to you. Only the rich folk can afford the best spots anyhow and I ain't one of em'.

9. Toothshucker1

Toothshucker1 Senior Refuge Member

Dwayne O. : I don't care what videos you do, or did, you did them in your "honey hole" and advertised your area. If some jackass in Idaho wants to do the same with their spot fine, it's stupid, but at least its their spot not someone elses. Maybe Jeff is only going to use it for personal use. If he commercializes it then he's just screwing Idaho hunters for personal gain. It really is that simple. He can video his spots on the east coast for commercial use to his hearts content, that's his honey hole. I've seen them, they are fun videos, but I wouldn't go there hunt in his areas and advertise it to the world. It would have been different perhaps if the gentlemen in Idaho had taken their guests on private ground hunts but they didn't.

Why is it OK for DU to do shows? You answered it yourself. They are non-profit! The show may actually contribute to higher membership and shows projects they have done on private and public ground to benefit all hunters, not just the guy who made the video. They generate funds that benefit all waterfowlers not personal gain.

As for the competition, whatever, theres plenty of good hunters here. We do just fine. How do we find our spots. Hell, I don't know....scouting. Theres a novel thought. I suppose you just buy videos and go looking for their spot?

Look, you want to guide or be in a guides posse, fine. Guiding is currently, and should stay, illegal in Idaho. You want to advertise your hunting prowess fine. But courtesy would be to restrict your glam shots to your own backyard.

I'm not going to post on this topic anymore. It's a dead horse. I don't know any of the guys involved with hunt in question except by reputation. I think it would be good if Tom Matus posted. Obviously some guys feel that he is guilty of not practicing what he has preached, which opened this whole pandora's box. As far as that goes, I don't know you. I'm sure you're a decent guy but you obviously a history of being on the business end of hunting so you have your bias.

10. Wingnutty

Wingnutty Elite Refuge Member

Wow, those are some SERIOUS allegations:eek:
    Be interesting to see the wardens report? Innocent until proven guilty, imho, but if those things occurred:fp

This has certainly been an interesting thread. My problem isnt with OOS'er either. My problem lies with inviting others to publisize our resource. Legal? Absolutely! Smart? No, not really. Yeah, everyone on this board helps fuel the increase in pressure, but there are certainly those who throw much more fuel on the fire. Nobodies perfect, myself included, but the writing is on the wall more than ever. We'd seriously better all enjoy what we have right now because it won't be the same in 10 years:cry That isn't a doomsday prediction, it is a fact given the current trends. (don't worry, I probably wont be here in 10 years, so that's one less yahoo out there;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.