Diver long lines

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Quackhead2008, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Quackhead2008

Quackhead2008 New Member

just started using long lines for divers wondering what kind of set up you are using trying to avoid the tangles in the dark I have 150 ft main lines with 3ft drops and 3 lb anchors on both ends just more wondering how you store the decoys with drops or wrap it all attached what works best any ideas with pics would be helpful thanks

2. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Unless you have a retriever swimming over the long lines, I would keep the short lines shorter. I keep my long lines in plastic tubs. Always set out with the forward anchor weight set out first. Let the boat drift with wind or tide and pull out the long line only. Never grab a decoy or the short line, that will tangle up the lines. Let the boat go back until the last decoy is out and the rear anchor weight get taught then drop.
    Repeat with rest of long lines. Pick up by running boat up to last decoy,downwind dek. Grab decoy and pull in anchor line, put that in tub first. Work your way toward first bird. Drop decoys into tub along with lines. When you get to forward anchor weight I take the weight off and clip line to top of tub. I leave rear anchor weight in the bottom of tub.
    I use identical tubs so they nest together, this saves a great deal of room in the boat.
    I tie the decoys onto the long line with bowline knots. Much smoother than clips. I do use clips when I shoot out of my sneak box. No room for the big tubs. I then use a long line of about 140 feet long. Clip an anchor weight to the long line. The long line has a knot in it at the 20 foot mark.....that is the length to the first decoy. I clip decoys onto the line as I drift back. I have another knot 20 feet from the end, that is the distance from the last decoy to the rear anchor weight.
    The line is stored on wire spools and the clips are large commercial fishing clips that go on the line anywhere it is clipped on. I only use two long lines out of the sneakbox just because of lack of room in the boat for more decoys.
    You can send me a email and I'll be able to send you pics.

LabsInTheCanes likes this.
  3. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

We also anchor both ends of our 150ft diver line. I will try a smaller line with 6 decoys and only anchor one end. I understand the wind will do the rest? Anyone tried this? fireduck- Kenny

4. jolle

jolle Senior Refuge Member

I anchor one end on rivers with good current. Anchor both ends in lakes

5. dmark

dmark Senior Refuge Member

anchoring on one end works if the wind is consistent. if the wind changes, you will have a genuine cluster.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If you don't hunt with a dog just zip tie the longline clips to the tie off point on the keel. Much easier to clip on and off the mainline without the long droppers.

7. Jjm

Jjm New Member

I cut the drops down to 22-24 inches, that includes the clip and swivel. A lot easier to work with

8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

i agree with those above on short drops. i run a 90ft doctari with 18'' drops. i hunt heavy current with ice flows sometimes so i use 10lb weights. I cast my own by filling large soup cans full of lead. i really like the doctari long line and will be buying another.

9. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder New Member

So I'm brand new at long lines, and I'm the kind of person who can make a tangle when UN-tieing my shoe laces. So I've got a bunch of hand carved divers that I will be keeping in canvas slotted decoy bags. My question is can I stuff the main line in the slotted compartments without getting tangles or is it better to avoid tangles by using cable reels to store and deploy the main line and clipping on the decoys as the main line is let out ?

10. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Get the right mainline and you can store it just about anyway you want and not worry about tangles. Call Bob at Decoy Rigs and he will get you what you need. 219-659-8371.
    We use the 3/8" diamond braid along with the Ryobi lawn bags and rarely have a problem even leaving the decoys clipped to the long lines.