diver spread

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by peachfuzz, Dec 31, 2003.

1. peachfuzz

peachfuzz Senior Refuge Member

The question I have is do any of you mix puddlers w/ divers decs. Where in my case there is both and they both frequent decoys. Also do any of you use wing decs. for divers or does it flare them.

2. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

We have been grouping our decoys, but maybe that is for our own preference and not the ducks. Have heard both ways, separate and all together. Like to have the divers outside and deeper than the puddlers. Arranging the decoys gives us something to do while waiting for shooting light, makes us feel productive, but don't know if it matters or not. I'm assuming your wing decs. are spinners? I'm convinced from the direction the birds came from and how low they were flying that our spinner was the all a couple of groups of canvasbacks could have seen for quite awhile. Also had a similar situation with Lesser Scaup and Red head, think the spinner is good under certain circumstances. Have been alternately putting it out and hiding it on the bank and it seems to be more help than hinderance even late season. Really don't feel like it flares the divers at this point where we hunt. At the time of the Canvasback air raids we had no diver decoys. With a little air brush work, we now have a half dozen divers, but the bluebills flew past them toward the spinner and landing zone.

3. peachfuzz

4. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I have never hunted over a spinner for divers so I don't have a clue.

The only puddler dekes I put out are blacks and they can go right in with the divers.

5. MightyLayoutBoy

MightyLayoutBoy Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Dear Peachfuzz;

Do you see both puddlers and divers intermingled? Where I see this happening, I set my rig the same way.

I have a Bluebill and Mallard haunt where both species like to be together by their own design. Its funny to watch Mallards do a fly by, seeing the Scaup and Mallard decoys mixed, and pitch in to the layout boats with reckless abandon. I say, observe the birds in your locale. If they are behaving that way, mimic their behavior.

Regarding spinning wing decoys, I have never personally tried one for puddlers or divers. But I have a customer in Eastern Wisconsin who hunts his MLB Classic on Lake Michigan. He has bagged over 300 birds out of his boat this past season, so he has to be doing something right. He absolutely swears by his mojo Bluebill, and how it attracts ducks like a magnet. He fashioned a 4 foot square piece of marine grade plywood with a pipe fitting right in the middle. 12" of conduit stubbed up to his spinner. He anchors it by itself, exactly where he wants the birds to decoy, and he absolutely cannot believe the results he gets.

I have heard that spinners flare divers. This may be true, but my Wisconsin bound friend would beg to differ.

Hope this helps. Have a Happy New Year, and God Bless,

Mark Rongers

mightylayoutboys.com

6. lwingwatcher

Hmmmm.....

So the piece of plywood actually floats holding the spinner up in the air?????

Hmmmm.....

Got pics????

7. MightyLayoutBoy

MightyLayoutBoy Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Lwing;

Our customer in Wisconsin doesn't have a digital camera, but as he describes it, the mojo Bluebill is suspended 12" over the wood, and is light enough to be supported by it. At 4' square, I can believe this. He paints the wood to match the boat.

This guy absolutely swears by this method. He and his dad have harvested 313 birds this past season. They hunt the Big Lake in some tall water at times (4 footers).

Hope this helps.

God Bless you and yours,

Mark

8. lwingwatcher

Thanks Mark---I just gotta run this by Goldy. I am pretty sure he will turn his nose up tat the mere thought of a spinner but, ya never know....

Seems like an easy enough contraption to build and with the competition that is out there sometimes, maybe a new twist might work in open water.

I just laugh when I see the shore hunters--you can spot those spinners a mile away it seems, even with my aging eyes.:l

9. peachfuzz

thanks for all the advice fellas:)

10. christian1

christian1 Senior Refuge Member

we will usually put some widgeon following cans. widgeon are notorious highjackers. when the can stir up the food the widgeon will eat it off the top. lazy ducks. makes it look realistic for here.

chris