Diving in, 10ga steel reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by gillbilly, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Now you're talking or asking questions that fellas with experience can help you with . WELCOME to the 10 ga gang as I find it alot of fun loading
    for this Big Payload shooter . RSI 99 is a very good load to start with and perfect out of your gun / choke combo , I can only suggest with my limited
    experience , that you designate the loading of the 10 ga as a #1 size shot or bigger gun ! A lot of 10 ga shooters ( I read ) are fixed on BB's , BBB's or
    T's and that's all their experience says " what works for them " ! Surely in your area , by the type birds you get to shoot at , you'll come up with your
    favorite......then you can get into the debate ( with the rest of us ) what's the better load .
    I've found kicking my lips out'a gear and cleaning off my glasses when reading some good info on these forums , have given me some exceptional
    advise when reloading the 10 ga as we are very fortunate to have so-many longtime 10 ga reloaders to guide us .......!

2. gillbilly

gillbilly Elite Refuge Member

Thanks, I have both those primers on hand so will give it a try. I have followed many of your posts and appreciate the reply.

3. gillbilly

Ya I get a little ADD whilst typing, not very good at it :p At this point my plan is to try T shot - #1. Hoping the 1s will pattern decent as I may use it for the fringe buzzing ducks on occasion. I really have gotten to like the extra payload when shooting BBB for big geese late in the season in the cattails, tend to not have to chase em. Have also found it to be a great gun for snows that hang up just outta range!

Thanks for the reply.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Personally I won't try to sway you from trying T's over BBB's as I have only given the BBB's the most time in the field out of the 10 .
    I'm very happy with the end results as the 1 1/2 oz load over 43 grs of A steel seems to be the Holy Grail for me . When I load for ducks
    I load 1 3/8 oz with mostly 1's as the velocity is upped a bit , which helps IMHO to pattern a little better after 50 yds . I only use this
    10 ga load for pass-shooting Stale Birds normally . I load by the Self-Induced theory I only need 2 loads for the 10 ga and RSI 99 and 100
    seem to do the trick for what and where I hunt .

Good Shooting

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

To me, the BB's and BBB's are best out of a .720 Terror. I like the BB's on long range ducks and the BBB's on geese. The BB's work great also on closer geese. I tried T's but my patterns weren't near as good as BBB's. I tried 2's and 3's as well for ducks but, the lack mass really effected the longer range capabilities of the 10 gauge. The caliber really likes the bigger shot and bigger shot has more energy. I just wasn't satisfied with the T's though. Most of season I shot 1.5oz BB, multimetal wads, 44.5 grains STEEL, and winchester primers. 1 7/16oz BBB multimetal wads, 45 grains of STEEL and winchester primers. I'll be switching to the RSI wads for next year and more of but not exclusivly the federal primers. I got nearly all of my help from 10GAGENUT. I shot several of his reloads with the RSI wads and took a few geese with them. They hit extremly hard. Baltz on hear helped me alot as well. Thanks boys.

6. gillbilly

Thanks to all. I am going to order the RSI supplies and start with that. I have a bunch of old T shot 23/4 shells I will disassemble and use to see how they pattern. Gonna order BBB, BB, 1s as I know I can use them up in the 10 or 12. Again thanks for the starting point tips, rest is up to the gun/choke and how it responds.

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    The 1's may do pretty good. I had great patterns with 2's and 3's out of the 10 but, saw quickly that they didn't have the killing range as the BB's on ducks. I tend to like 1's and 2's in the 2.75" and 3" 12 gauge best. Here's some pics of my 10 gauge 3's. Some are blue dot and some are steel powder.

8. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

Learn to run that duck n goose call and you can killem with a 20 gauge all day long. Just saying

9. skywatcher1

Just a 20 gauge day with my girl thats past on IMG_1500.PNG

10. skywatcher1