DIY Long Tail

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by SMathison17, Jan 23, 2017.

1. SMathison17

SMathison17 New Member

Hey guys, I'm brand new member here, and I'm looking for some tips and info about home made long tails.

I'm going to build one of the Hybrid NLs this spring, and I wanted to put an inexpensive mud motor on it. I have looked at a lot of kits, and being a full time college student and working very few hours this winter is making me a little skeptical about buying a kit.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to make a cheap and simple long tail with one of the Harbor Freight 212cc motors?

Thanks,

Sam

2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Welcome to the Refuge! You'll gather information & have plenty of enjoyment in here. That's an idea that I had a number of years ago, but it ended up being a hassle, not only to get all the correct parts, but then to get it put together so it would function properly. I ended up selling it after completion & wasn't really pleased with the outcome. I bought a factory motor(s) after that.

If I was to try something OTHER than buying a quality factory motor again, I would definitely go with a Backwater brand & it's my understanding that they not only make high quality mudmotors, but are extremely helpful on the phone & offer some mudmotors in a kit form as well.

Ringbill

3. SMathison17

SMathison17 New Member

Thanks for the info Ringbill!

As much as I would love to get a factory motor or even the backwater kit, those are way out of my price range. I have seen some simpler (at least they look simpler) surface drive ideas, but they seem to require a lathe and welding setup, both tools I have zero access or knowledge with.

4. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Cant help with DIY but a 212 predator on a hybrid NL is sketchy. I have a hybrid SN that is really small (under 7 foot) and my friends have NLs that are just under 8 foot. A 212cc longtail is around 80 lbs and is mounted up high. Not sure I would want to do that unless I built the boat with a hunt deck or made it longer than 8 feet. I have a 79cc swamp runner which is about 45 lbs. That's as heavy as I'd want to go.

SMathison17 likes this.
  5. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I'd look into a thai kit-there's a few to choose from....all basically the same with some slight differences. I can't imagine you'd spend less fabricating your own.

6. SMathison17

SMathison17 New Member

Darkvibe -

I saw your setup, and I thought it looked awesome! Does that 79cc swamp runner have enough power to get through mud and weeds? The areas that I hunt in are either very muddy with lots of weeds, or solid sand bottom (which in the sand I would either push pole or paddle). I plan on building a 10ft one, similar to (I think) Constructuers?

7. darkvibe

Eh, depends what you compare it to I guess. On a sand bottom it's fine until the skeg hits the bottom then it's useless. On a mud bottom (really soft mud where I hunt) it works fine. Maybe a little slower than open water but I got down to about 3" of water over soft mud at my spot and it worked fine all the way there. My buddy said it left a trench in the mud on the bottom.

I have not used in in weeds so i can't comment.

It's not really fast though, I am looking into getting more power without adding much weight.

8. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

That will be for you to decide both what you need & what you can afford.
    It kinda sounds like you may have better mechanical skills than I do, so that would be a huge step forward in being able to fabricate & make a unit that is cheap, but still functional for you. Best of luck & keep us updated!

Ringbill

9. darkvibe

212cc might be fine on a 10ft boat. Do you plan to leave it on while hunting? I take mine off and set it in the weeds. Wouldn't want to lift a 212 while standing on the soft ground. I'd sink up to my eyeballs.

10. SMathison17

SMathison17 New Member

Ringbill, Id like to thing I have mechanical skills haha, I have a base knowledge, I'll still rely heavily on my parents.

Darkvibe, I will definitely leave it on, no where to put it unless I'm on a sandbar.

Being a college student is definitely not conducive to having money to buy things, but by the time I build the boat I should have enough saved to buy a kit. I just thought I'd try to find out what kind of ideas anyone on here had to see if I could save some cash.

I've been eyeing the mud-skipper brand, as they are local to me (hour and a half away) and they are the most inexpensive I can find.