DIY Long Tail

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by SMathison17, Jan 23, 2017.

1. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Hi neighbor. I am in Rochester.

2. SMathison17

SMathison17 New Member

I'm in Watertown. My sister lives in Clyde, which is pretty close to you. Been to Rochester plenty of times.

3. WI WATERFOWL

WI WATERFOWL Senior Refuge Member

Off topic but love that area of NY, as we went to visit my fiances family last year in Rome NY and flew into Rochester. Reminds me alot of WI. Unfortunately they are not waterfowl hunters....

4. darkvibe

I grew up in Rome and my parents and sister still live there. There is a chance I know your fiance's family. Not a very big town.

5. SMathison17

SMathison17 New Member

darkvibe, is there a chance you hunted montezuma? Always wanted to do it...

6. darkvibe

No. I have my card from the NY Waterfowl Identification class but never looked into hunting there.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Some advice from a guy with a lot of tools, decent mechanical knowledge and 62 years of messing with mechanical stuff. Home made aluminum conduit or steel boat blinds is one thing, but mechanical motors, shaft, propeller, etc is way beyond me. Save your money and buy a Swamp Runner or other brand and save a little more for the motor. You will be way ahead of the game than trial and error unless you design and build, weld, mechanical gear for a living. Throw some $$ at things and live life.
    :tu

Allinodad likes this.
  8. MQ

MQ Senior Refuge Member

I built a weed whacker motor a couple years back for my 8 ft hybrid. It works in open water, but is slow....I'm about to pull the plug on a Honda 2.3 hp.

9. MQ

MQ Senior Refuge Member

Well gave the weedwhacker outboard one last hunt. Started fine on the driveway the night before, then a bit of a hard start in the AM. Putted out to the blind fine enough, but then couldn't get it going after that. It was a long paddle back to the truck later that day. I'm turning it back into a weed whacker and getting a real outboard before next season.