diy PORTABLE blind?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Refuge Member

I don't have a boat to hunt out of, I primarily hunt public land and carry in dekes etc in my pack.

I'm looking for ideas to keep me busy here these last few weeks until duck season starts. I'm wanting to build my own "blind" that is light enough that I can carry in by myself.

Thinking of making something similar to the tangle free style, that would be easily portable. I don't want to carry in my groundblind I use for hunting, takes up too much space and isn't light.

Any ideas?

2. Hawkeyebowhunter

I'm purchasing a pack from Cabelas that can fit "36" decoys supposedly, also has a sling where I can attach my gun.

I would be walking in, anywhere from a few hundred yards, to about a mile and a half/close to 2 miles. Portability is going to be the name of the game. I don't have a sled or cart to stash my stuff on so I'd be carrying everything, may look into a cart of some sort as I mainly walk dry fields to get to where I'm hunting (central IA).

Thinking of using PVC pipe and painting it, some sort of burlap and zip ties where I can grab reeds nearby and strap to the PVC.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

If it is just you, and there is cover present, then I say carry in a stool or 5 gallon bucket and just sit in the brush. A log billed cap will help you follow birds but keep your head down and face covered.

A folding hand saw will help you gather enough brush to stake in front of you and it will be way more effective than a blind. I would do this for 2-3 people, and spread out, sit 3-5 yrds apart.

PVC or garden stakes with spray painted or camo burlap and zip ties will work if you go the blind route. My experience is that the burlap sags or isn't high enough to really provide good overhead concealment.

For the record, I've shot way more ducks standing in brush or behind a tree than out of a blind.

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. Hawkeyebowhunter

I get that, the ponds I hunt there are no trees within shooting distance unfortunately.

This would serve double purpose for field hunting as well, as I don't have a layout and don't want to spend hundreds on one.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The Avery powerhunter is worth the $125, it also travels well if you need to walk.

I also highly recommend a jet sled.

Billy Bob and Hawkeyebowhunter like this.
  6. Hawkeyebowhunter

I'll look into those, thanks!

7. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Refuge Member

I would try to put some pvc pipe together with burlap or some or some other cheap blind type material. Would be light weight. Could stake them in the ground and then use a limb saw and cut some brush and put up around it to blend in a little better.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Chicken wire, or hog wire, make great blinds. Big and tall as you need. I like the chicken wire better, as it is easier to roll up, put a rope over each end, and sling it over your shoulder. First one I made, I used raffia grass. Didn't like it, but if you blend natural cover over it when you arrive, it works. Now I just gather tall hay and weave some new in each fall. Last all season, or longer.

Attached Files:

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  9. Hawkeyebowhunter

That looks great, nice and easy to transport. How do you get them to stand up?

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have some cheap concrete support poles (whatever those are called, the ones they use to re-enforce concrete pads-my mind is mush) I happen to hunt mostly rivers, and I can just shove them into the ground, or grab a rock and pound em. Those are actually the most cumbersome part of the plan, as they are skinny and want to poke through the decoy bag. I wrap the bottom in a towel so that is harder for them to poke. I use 3.

Edit (thanks to google) Rebar.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.