Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

diy PORTABLE blind?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Refuge Member

I gotcha, should be able to put enough rebar in there to keep them upright in case it gets windy too which would be nice. Need to look into some sort of cart, think your idea may get the job done, thanks!

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I,ve made them from black plastic garden fence , fine mesh w, 1" spaceing. Available at lowes, home depot, etc. Zip tie camo die cut material to it and use para cord woven thru both for grassing loops. Use 4 salt treated 1" x 2" with sharpened end for corner supports with a small plastic coated cup hook screwed into top of stake to hang wire from. The areas I,ve used this had soft enough ground I could basically push them into place. A little natural vegetation to break up straight top line and it works well. Dove stool to set on. All can be pulled in the jet sleds easily as its very light when rolled up.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  3. Hawkeyebowhunter

Any pics?

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Sorry, rolled up and stored till early teal.

5. Hawkeyebowhunter

No problem, just a few short weeks away here!

6. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Just put some field goose decoys at the edge of the pond and dress for success. 424_Goosesuit_1.jpg

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Rebar? weighs a ton, so does PVC. Go to Tractor Supply and look at their elec fence posts/rods. I used the 4' black step in fence post and wire tied a Sun Guard fiberglass rod post to the black post . Simply drill holes in the flat side and wire tie the round post into the L ( corner) of the black post.Use about 4 ties. Put the pointed end down of the grey rod. This will help it feed back easier into the looped tie if you extend it out of it. Add enough tension to the zip ties so that there is enough resistance when raising the grey rod to hold it up with clamped on camo material weight but not so much that its a struggle to raise and lower it. At the top pf the grey fiberglass rod, I drilled a hole and riveted a tiny metal A Clamp I found for 69cents each at Home Depot. Hit the silver metal clamps with black spray paint. All in all, the adjustable posts are inexpensive, light weight, and easily made and materials easily gathered.
    Used these for a few seasons and they work well. We use them in the goose fields, duck hunting on the beach or shoreline. Even had them in knee deep water with the boat behind us and the posts extended high enough to hide and shoot over and down into the water. They are the titz.
    For material I started out using that synthetic cut leaf camo material. It would snag and rip easily. Crap. Went to good old camo burlap. Works great, flutters less in the wind (you can always dip int into the water to add weight on windy days.) Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.16.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.16.49 AM.png Dries out easily, just chuck it into the garage between weekends. On my 3rd year of burlap, a little worn but still great.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Oh, also...need a cheap cart? Go to Good Will , Craigs List and buy a jogging kids stroller. They are like $20, have those big ole bicycle wheels, can be spray painted and you can bungee a lot of decoy bags, guns, blind etc to them.
    Good luck. Heck, if you have trails, get one that will attach or bungee a regular one to a mountain bike.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

All good ideas, but not for my situation. Depending on the water level, I might be placing in mud (where your idea is fine) or in river rock. That thin rebar is tough, lasts forever, and really isn't that heavy. Since it has a rough texture, my chicken wire holds without any bindings. I place the wire, then weave the rebar a couple of times through the wire, then pound it in.

Baby cart isn't gonna get my gear to my spots. Cabela's game cart for me. I can drag it over sage brush. No trails where I go. Everything goes on the cart. Blind bag, chair, gun, decoy bag or 3. Bungee down and walk unencumbered. Nice to have something heavy duty when you haul out 7 ducks and 4 geese also. Folds up nice in the back of the truck.

10. Hawkeyebowhunter

Lots of good ideas here, thanks gents!