diy PORTABLE blind?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, Aug 6, 2018.

1. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 New Member

Look into fast strike blinds...could DIY one yourself with some 2x4 a hinge and some bungie cords, or simply purchase them outright. Multidimensional for fields and ponds, light, and they seem to work pretty well.

2. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

I've used fiberglass fences posts from TCS with camo material and wooden clothes pins for several years. First set up was shorter posts and die cut camo material with brush loops for adding material. Last year I went to 6' plastic covered posts from menards with cheap camo netting, again with wooden clothes pins (I hit them with a shot of camo green paint). I intended to add some brush to the netting, but never really needed to. This set-up was used into middle-end of October with decent success.

I have the cabelas decoy bag with the nicer shoulder straps and shotgun holder, sounds like the one you have. I put my shells and calls, stuff like that in the bag for the motorized decoy (it's removable, I just sling it over my shoulder while hunting to keep it out of the water), put my decoys in the bag, stuff the camo netting over the top of them and close it up. Shotgun goes on the bag in the pouch/strap. I clip the clothes pins on the end of one of the fence posts, and bundle the 5-6 I plan on using and carry them in one hand. Other hand carries my marsh stool. I can hike in quite a ways like that comfortably, and there are game straps on the shoulder straps to carry ducks out.

I typically have one or two people with me. If I was hunting solo a lot, I would probably just have a ghillie suit jacket and hat while sitting on a marsh seat. If you can sit still until they are in the hole it would save a lot of hassle. And you'd still kill birds. I am tinkering with the idea of making a ghillie "poncho" for solo hunts this year.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you are hunting wide open spaces with primarily grass/low vegetation as the landscape foliage. It also sounds like you hunt solo more often than not. If true, consider the following.

The are basically no right angles in nature so a rounded profile is preferable. Also, shade/shadows are your best camo pattern. Finally, indigenous vegetation is the best outer cover material.

Go to Lowe's and purchase a 48" X 20' section of the darkest (smallest mesh) sun screen that people use to shield a deck area from direct sunlight. They make it in a dark brown color as well as black.

In their Garden Section, pick up 6-8 of their (green) fiberglass garden stake poles in 6' length by 3/4" diameter.

Get a bag of the medium to heavy black zip ties. Also, get another of their thinner ones as well.

You also need a roll of black or camo duct tape.

You are making a one man blind.

Lay out the sun screen and double it over so you have a 10' section.

Lay the garden stakes out on it with one on each end and the remaining ones equidistant from each other. Wrap duct tape 5-7 times around the top of each stake. Take a exacto knife and cut a small groove (~1/4" wide) into the tape ~1/2" from the top. Do another in the middle and a third at the bottom. These are where you'll attach the heavy zip ties and the 1/4" grooves in the tape will keep the mesh from sliding up/down the stakes. You should have ~24" of garden stake exposed at the bottom and available to be stuck into the ground for support.

Stake the blind into the ground in a circle with the NE area slightly open for easy ingress/egress. Use the small zip ties to attach hanks of natural vegetation. Always double the vegetation layer on the south and east sides.

If you are on dry ground or <4" of sheet water, pack along a small shovel and dig a 2' X 2' X 2' hole for your feet and sit on one of the low profile turkey seats that have ~6" folding legs/arms. This will give you the ability to stand and shoot which is the manner I prefer. If you set up in 12-18" of water, a dove stool is usually the best option.

The assembled blind should weigh <10 pounds and with the stool/shovel, ~15-18 pounds in total. All can be bungee corded or placed in a tall decoy/pack bag for transport. The screen material is coated and won't absorb water or rot plus dries out quickly.

More guys simply means more individual blinds. IMO, the key to their efficacy is in the round silhouette presented to the birds and based upon our experience it works well in large (big wide) open areas.

Good luck with the upcoming season.

4. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

5. n c rod

n c rod Refuge Member

I have a rig using 4' hog wire with woven grasses zip tied to wire with four 6' long X 3/8" rebar for corners or ends Rolls up like a blanket without rebar. Chicken wire would be more portable. I field hunt mostly and a 12 foot roll with 4 rebar posts makes a circle blind for 2 big men in less than 5 minutes,with a 2 pound hammer to drive posts. You can substitute lighter materials if you have to carry. A little local vegetation clamped to your "roll" will make it blend.Always carry plenty long zip ties .Nice to have a seat, I use a padded 5 gal bucket. Like they say in the USMC , improvise and adapt , it ain't brain surgery. Good hunting.

6. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Refuge Member

Chicken wire is going to be the ticket for sure. Thanks all for the help, now to find a good deal on a cart to haul my stuff!

7. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Concrete Wire panels are lighter than Hog panels & more rigid than Chicken Wire. 3' x 6'.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That isn't always and advantage. Since you are staking it out anyway, chicken wire is rigid enough, and it rolls up quick, easy, and small.