DIY Prince William Sound Hunt 2012

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by BandedKingEider, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BandedKingEider

BandedKingEider New Member

Well me and the guys made it back after our first successful DIY Prince William Sound waterfowl, black bear and deer hunt. 5 of us got together and planned this thing out a couple months back. The waterfowl hunting was phenomenal. We left October 26th and returned October 30th.

We ended up taking Harlequin, Scoter, Mallard, Barrows & Common Goldenye, Bluebill, and some Bufflehead. Most everyday was limits or very close to.

The hunt was relatively simple to put together, we rented a forest service cabin in Western Prince William Sound, hired a water taxi from Whittier to run us out, and took my 12 ft inflatable with a 15hp motor to get around.

The birds down there seemed virtually untouched, almost like they had never been hunted before. They worked the decoys like I have never seen before.

We hit it hard for 4 days and even filled my black bear tag while we were there. Tried looking for deer but I have heard last winter took a healthy toll on them, only seen one set of deer tracks the entire trip.

Now just looking for some close places to hunt around Anchorage for the rest of the season thinking about taking my inflatable down around Seward sometime in the next month but have never been on the water around there.

Attached Files:

2. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

Nice. Which island?

3. BandedKingEider

We hunted out of Harrison Lagoon this time. The lagoon was great for the goldeneyes, mallards and bluebills. Just a short ride in the boat out of the lagoon is where we found the sea ducks!

4. DroppnDrakes

DroppnDrakes Senior Refuge Member

Just looked up Harrison lagoon. How in the world did you ever get back there!?

5. BandedKingEider

We hired a water taxi out of Whittier to run us out. Was very reasonable split 5 ways.

6. AleutianKing

AleutianKing Elite Refuge Member

Nice trevor great to see you guys getting after it, looks like a cool trip. Got a hot lead on a DiY Vnigra hunt if interested.

Cheers Charlie

7. BandedKingEider

It was a great trip, if only I had a big boat and I could hunt Prince William Sound more often! DiY Vnigra?