Diy sea duck hunt

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by DWB5, Feb 13, 2017.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys I hope this is in the right place. I wanting to try a diy sea duck hunt on the east cost this year. I have a 17'*50" boat with a 75 on it. Where would be the best place to start looking into. I live in tn and mainly only hunt divers. I thought about nc but not really for sure. Looking for mainly scoters maybe a longtail. But really just looking to get my feet wet into it. Thanks for the help. I'm not looking for gps coordinates of your favorite spots. Just wanting to know where to start, when to and what I'm getting myself into. Thanks again.

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    What type of 17'*50" boat are we talking? Reason I ask is that most southern river boats are semi-V Jons or Jonboats. That'll get you killed on the Ocean. Ya need a Deep-V. Also, check coast guard requirements for safety devices needed out on Coastal waters. That being said, Rhode Island is a friendly state, as would be Long Island NY. Just have your ID skills down, there are some Harlequins running around, and they are off Limits.

3. DWB5

Yeah the boat is one thing I'm worried about. Its Duracraft just your basic green boat. I have a friend that's with a 16'48" green boat in NC. He was saying mine would be fine but I'm still wondering if it would be ok.

4. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

I have an 1860 G3 and I watch the weather before I go out, it can get pretty harry real quick.

5. DWB5

How big are the bays. Like the Pamlico sound? All I'm use to hunting is the main channels of the lakes around here.

6. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I suggest you have SeaTow or BoatUS and at least two ways to contact them before even thinking about going offshore in any boat...

BAYDOG likes this.
  7. DWB5

that's a good idea. I didn't even think about that.

8. Hunt n' Fish

Hunt n' Fish Elite Refuge Member

I have a Lowe 17.5' Roughneck and I've shot seaducks in the ocean with it here off Long Island.

Yes, you have to watch your weather, and it's tough to plan a trip in the winter with really calm weather. But if you can decide with only a day or two notice, you could do it here. Access is pretty good here. Most of our ramps are free in the winter. There are also other options than just the ocean for seaducks.

9. Hunt n' Fish

Hunt n' Fish Elite Refuge Member

A light (less than 10 knots) north, or NW wind is best for the ocean. NE is bad.

Juan De likes this.
  10. DWB5

I'm really starting to second guess my thoughts on going. Lol... I hate to go out there a die for a duck.lol