Diy sea duck hunt

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by DWB5, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Save all the $ and heartache you will spend towing a boat half way across country (gas, lots of east coast bridge/road tolls, ramp fees, fear someone will steal your boat contents at the motel 6) and get a guide. Plenty of great ones on here.

seaduckhunt, Montauker and DWB5 like this.
  2. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

This is true. I just like the satisfaction of putting the work into it myself. Not to say there is no satisfaction in going with a guide because that is more than likely what I will end up doing. I'm just one that like to put a lot of work into getting my reward. Thats the only reason I would go and do it myself.

3. DWB5

Who all do you recommend for a east coast sea duck hunt. It will be a party of 2 maybe 3.

4. Hunt n' Fish

Hunt n' Fish Elite Refuge Member

Well, I'm partial to Elite Long Island Outfitter, because I work for them :cool:, but there are lots of good guides to choose from, from Maine to Maryland.

Depends on how far you want to travel. The further north you go, the better your odds for eider.

5. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

You'd be fine in the Chesapeake bay with that boat just gotta pick n choose your days. Anywhere below the bridge n you should have a good chance. Earlier in the season just go further south down the bay. We limited opening day this year in front of chop tank on scoters.

6. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

You're right - no amount of ducks are worth dying for but sea duck hunting, especially with your own stuff, is a great experience and necessary to become a complete waterfowler.

My safety check for going offshore is "at least two of everything"...in other words; it's best to go sea duck hunting with at least one other boat. You can stay within eye sight of one another without really competing against one another.

7. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

8. DWB5

I really appreciate all the good advice. This is something I really want to do and to get into. Just a little worried about what I'm getting into since I have never been anywhere to see what its like. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get a guide the first round and get my feet wet before taking off the first time on my own.

Hunt n' Fish likes this.
  9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Please do not take this the wrong way as I don't know you, but whatever on water experience you have, if you have not dealt with tides, sea duck hunting is not the time to learn boating on tidal waters. Yes you can pick your days but I am telling you a lot can wrong with anchors, longlines, and tide. Go with a guide one or two times just to see and ask questions, then decide if it is something you want to do on your own.

10. DWB5

I don't take it wrong at all. The advice everyone has given me is exactly why I started this thread. I'm just a east tn boy that has growed up hunting average size lakes, rivers, & ponds. I'm wanting to know what I'm getting into before I do something. I really appreciate and respect the advice you all have give me.