Diy sea duck hunt

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by DWB5, Feb 13, 2017.

1. quackaholic

quackaholic Senior Refuge Member

I'm from Tennessee also, and have hunted with Pitboss. Can't say enough for his service. Top notch. But if it's a DIY for sure go up and survey what you're in for before the actual trip. $1000 per day is a bargain for the gear and experience a good guide provides. Plus you can split that 4 ways with Jeff. Unless he's gone up.

2. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Cool. Your from Greenville. I'm from Dandridge. Not to far from you.

3. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

I've never heard any bad reports from pitboss. Never hunted with him personally though. He's got a bunch of vids on here. Also I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to have a md resident with you to hunt the seaduck zone or gunning rig zone. A quick look at the regs should clear that up. Finally you do not have to go in the ocean to kill sea ducks if you've hunted in rivers I feel you have a decent knowledge of tides n so forth for the bay. But I will agree since it's gonna take you a few extra days to really figure it out it would prob be cheaper to go on a guided hunt a day or 2 than take off a whole week to freelance your first time.

DWB5 likes this.
  4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

In Maryland you need a licensed MD resident in the boat with you. That is done in part to keep in experience folks off the bay in the winter.

In other areas of the Mid-atlantic/Northeast you start to get into more serious water, harder tides.

Mr_Mallard and straitmeat72 like this.
  5. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Can you do a DIY hunt for sea ducks, totally ! On a windless, perfect sunny day, I think the things you have to worry about are now down to 10 foot tides that change every 6 hours, and are different every day, not to mention rocks and other lower unit munching things we have. So if you are looking to do this, make sure you have all safety gear, a couple of VHF radios (cell phones don't cut it) , good weather and tide sources, ect.

As several have noted, you are best to hire a guide, and yes there are several. Heck, each year, two or more seem to crop up and hang a shingle... Wading through that fog of who to go with, now that is probably as tricky as figuring out the tides and strong currents we have...

I've been guiding sea ducks for the past 25 years, feel free to call if your interested in booking. Or there's several other guides that can get the job done for you. So you see, lot's to choose from.

I've posted three vids here in the diver forum that show different ways to hunt the sea ducks we have:

My channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyVwLWfaVfqRFIpvy_ySR0w

I'm sure many have used these vids to help them with their sea duck hunting, take a look and hope they help you as well.

DWB5 likes this.
  6. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

I've crabbed and fished in Pamlico Sound all my life and there's a lot of days I don't go in a 32' boat. If it blows, the 80 and 90' shrimp boats can't even work. While there are shallow areas, mostly on the east side of the sound, it's not a shallow little bay and it gets as bad, sometimes worse than the ocean.

In a boat like you are talking about with no experience or knowledge of the area, anything more than 10 to 15 mph and you will be screwed.

seaduckhunt likes this.
  7. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

If you do a guided sea duck hunt, don't waste your money on a guide in NC. Go somewhere that has a better variety of seaduck species and not just scoters. The guides that seaduck hunt here will tell you about the one old squaw or eider that they killed ten years ago just to get your money.

seaduckhunt likes this.
  8. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like you need a bigger boat...say 20 ft or bigger because the weather can change really quick out here

9. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

We did a DIY hunt in Maine, best hunt ever. Don't let the guides scare you out of doing a DIY hunt. Do your research and you'll be fine. We hunted just north of Portland Maine. The area where the LL Bean store is. We killed all kinds of sea ducks. 86 by 3 guys. The week between Xmas and NY EARS. There are plenty of islands, so it's always calm somewhere. Go do it, you'll have a blast.

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

No harm-no fowl-

What kind of boat did you guys have?