Do ducks / geese move in front of or behind the front ?

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Spotshooter, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Spotshooter

Spotshooter New Member

I’m learning but somethings will just take a bit too long so I’ll ask a few questions.

First is if I’m playing the weather rolling in, are there any general rules....
    Like with rain they follow behind the front, and Snow and real artic cold they stay ahead of it.

I have not observed enough to know - what is your experience?

Thanks,
    Spot

2. Millertme

Millertme New Member

I believe the correct answer here is "Yes". Ha ha...sorry, from my experience there is not a rhyme or reason to it. I have had great hunts before, during, and after a cold front, and when there has been no moisture, rain, snow, and ice. The key is the front itself and being in the blind when you can!

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If there's anything I've learned in my five + decades of duck hunting, it's to go hunting whenever you can. Doesn't matter what the weather is; go hunting. You aren't going to kill a duck unless you are OUT THERE. The more often you hunt, the more you learn. The more you learn, the more effective you are the next time.
    To answer the question: ducks move every day. They may not migrate in large numbers every day, but there will be ducks in the air. Your job is to intercept them. Get out there and do it.

4. DornCounty

DornCounty Senior Refuge Member

Generally when the wind changes to favorable is when you get the best surges. But in general birds are pretty dumb so I like the idea of getting out when you can no matter the weather.

dux/24 7 likes this.
  5. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

I've always noticed a definite increase in hunters based on weather reports.

6. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

I love the windy days, no matter what direction it is blowing.

puddle-head and wtrfwlr43 like this.
  7. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

True that birds migrate at most anytime in the fall and spring. But the biggest concentrations of migrating ducks and geese will occur around a frontal boundary. In front, with, or behind it.