Do Snipe taste good.

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by drakegunner, Oct 14, 2002.

1. drakegunner

drakegunner Elite Refuge Member

I've been duckhunting some little potholes all weekend and have probably seen 40 snipe flying over me. They have all been well within shooting range. I don't like to shoot things that I don't want to eat though and was wondering if they are worth the effort.

2. sacha szymczak

sacha szymczak Elite Refuge Member

Snipe are great eating,but you have to have about 6 of them per person for a good meal,the breasts are the size of your pinky fingers!!

3. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Good as dove.

4. drakegunner

drakegunner Elite Refuge Member

thanks for the info I might take one for an hourdeurve. I know I didn't spell that right.

5. Snipe regularly fugure in the bag here in Ireland after a day's shooting. They are a prolific game bird/wader in this part of the UK and are prized by shooters (hunters to you).

We walk them up with spaniels or even drive them to waiting guns across the marshes here, rather like driven grouse or pheasants.

As for eating, well there is little on the snipe but the flavour of its breasts more than makes up for its small size.

Try pan frying 4-6 snipe breasts in some olive oil, sliced onions and mushrooms until tender and then add half a cup of fresh cream at the very end of the cooking process. Make some toast, place two breasts on each slice and then pour the contents of the pan onto the breasts and buttered toast. Served with a selection of green salad leaves, it makes a great starter to a meal with shooting friends.

Nimrod

Check out http://www.irishfieldsports.com/gamebirds.htm

6. Gringopistolero

Gringopistolero Elite Refuge Member

Or put a wrap of bacon (1/2 a strip is plenty) around them with a slice of jalapeno pepper in the cavity and throw on a HOT grill till the bacons done. MMMMMM good.

7. B52-man

B52-man Elite Refuge Member

Snipe are excellant!!!
    I get 15-20 every year.

8. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

You guys have talked me into it.... sounds worth while to me. I have been seeing some lately. Do you usualy shoot them with your duck loads or do you carry special loads with you..?

9. Teal101

Teal101 Elite Refuge Member

Their so small. Duck loads would incinerate them. Seen around 10 at our pond for DUCK hunting. By the way did i mention we flush Pheasents out of our blind.