Do you bring your daughters hunting?

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Ladyotl, Nov 4, 2002.

1. fowlambition

fowlambition Elite Refuge Member

I love nothing more than sharing my hobbies with my daughter she is three and half and she is already my fishing buddie. With a little casting assistance she can catch the smallmouth bass. She has lover to honk on a Primos Mother call, though the flute i'm buying her will be a little easier. My favorite pic and laptop background is not of a duck or me and any game but one of her and I a recent mallard drake of course she is being the ham that she always is. She my monkey, my angel and one of my best friends.

2. fowlambition

fowlambition Elite Refuge Member

Maybe if you get the invloved with DU for conservation purposes then move onto Delta they might come around or at least see why others enjoy it

3. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

There is plenty of hunting oriented discussion that goes on here and on the main boards. The "miscarriage" question was made by a MAN that was seeking some type of guidance and maybe a word of comfort in a time of DISTRESS from some of the WOMEN posting here.... I'd hate to think that anyone would come here seeking advise, counsel or just some words of encouragement and get nothing. It's a women's forum, Maybe some of the men would like to get an opinion on things from a woman's point of view?... There's plenty of nonhunting discussions on all the other boards from "new babies" to "mechanical questions". If you see the subject isn't what you'd like to read or reply to just skip it :D Enough said bout that...

Glad to Have You Here &
    Best Wishes!

Kimmie :)

4. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Those are some of the BEST Pictures you guys have posted. I can tell there's alot of proud Dad's out there (and rightly so!)

Kimmie :)

5. Ladyotl

Ladyotl In Memory<br>04/06/72 - 09/10/07<br>Moderator<br>W

Borisworf,
    about your post.. this is a forum for all types of discussions as is with the entire Duck Hunters Refuge. We do not limit ourselves to just hunting.
    We have alot of men come here like Kimmie said that want a womans opinion on various matters and the sad part is they feel like they intruding.( which is never the case)
    So , If this kind of posting isn't to your taste, then just bypass it or even better, start a thread.:) We are always happy to hear from new people.
    With that said....
    Welcome to the Fuge:)
    Darlene

6. Remshot

Remshot Elite Refuge Member

And what the heck did you do to protect her hearing, while she was strapped to your front at 2 weeks old, and strapped to your back at 8 months old and you were shooting a shotgun? Jeez....As far as I know, they don't make earphones or ear plugs small enough to fit a 2 week old or an 8 month old baby.:mad:

If I'm wrong, sorry. Please enlighten me as to what type of hearing protection is offered for babies.

7. borisworf

borisworf Senior Refuge Member

Dear Remshot, Just a reply to your Questions concerning ear protection for my children. Let's just take a minute and look at this logically. If I went to a sportmans club and was shooting sporting clays, I myself would be wearing ear plugs, since I would be shooting a minimum of 50-100 rounds. And all the people NEAR me would also be shooting the same amount of times. But since I was out in the woods on an actual hunt the chances of shooting at woodcock 50- to 100 times is slim to none. If you think about it when was the last time you saw an adult hunter out in the woods with ear protection on. If any one should be wearing ear protection, it should be my dog, who is in front of the gun, where the actual percussion accures. Most of the times with a young child you will find out that the walking you do has a very soothing affect on them and it loles them to sleep. This has been the case many times when my children accompany me out hunting. Just this season my 3 yr old daughter was sleeping on my back in her carrier when I shot 2 woodcocks. I will say that sometimes it's very distracting to take them out, since we are discussing butterflies and the dog gets a pheasant up and I miss, but that's the price you pay for being a mother

8. BNick

BNick Refuge Member

I hear you - I wish...

I wish I had been wearing a plug in my left ear (shooting right-handed), then I would be able to hear my watch alarm and could better understand the soft, high-pitched voice of my young children. Just because you shoot a few shots while hunting is not a valid reason for not wearing ear protection while hunting: the damage is cumulative.

I am sorry, but while I think it is great to adapt and take infants hunting, it boarders on being criminal to not provide those infants with hearing protection. Image the personal damage and damge to all hunting if your local child protection agency got wind of that practice. You could be subjected to civil or criminal procedings for child endangerment (hearing). Think of the repercussions.

Ear plugs are not the answer for your kids - ear muffs do a better job of protecting from the concussive waves that hit the child's head and are conducted throughout the skull and, of course, the ears. The best thing to do is to get a sitter or friend to walk with you (about 50+ yds back) and to carry the kids. That way if you really have to b-feed, everyone can be together. If we were neighbors, I would be happy to watch your kids while you hunt. (You could reciprocate and watch my kids while I go hunting - later we could all hunt together!)

Please reconsider your hunting arrangements - for your kids' futures.

-Blaine
    Sons 7 & 3
    Daughter is due Saturday!!!

9. Remshot

Remshot Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if she slept thru it because she didn't hear the shots!

Why don't you take the proper precautions to protect your children, so they don't have to pay the price *(loss of hearing) for your lapse in judgement/neglect/thoughtlessness, etc.?

I don't mean to come down so hard on you (ok, maybe I do), but I think this is important and that you should reconsider what you have been doing and hopefully change it. At least talk to your family doctor and get his/her input.

I think it is great that you want to include your kids in your love of the outdoors. So do I. But be sure you are looking out in their best interest. Let me tell you, it sucks having to tell my kids, "Honey, you have to look at me when you talk to me, otherwise I can't hear you".

I don't need no stinking hearing protection, is an attitude I gave up earliy enough to still be able to hear, but not early enough to still be able to hear great. Your kids ears are developing. Don't damage them during that development.

10. Tom Phillips*

Tom Phillips* Elite Refuge Member

borisworf,

I think we'd get along just fine. I have several daughters, all of whom I've taken hunting. The youngest went with me when she was two years old and she is the one who loves it the most. I took my oldest daughter fishing with me since she was seven months old. I just put her in one of those baby carriers and went out all day. I carried her until she was five years old while fishing. Now she is a great fisherman. All these activities have been great for all of them.

They are great in the outdoors. My 5 year old can tell the difference between widgeon and pintail. She knows all the duck species that we see. She knows great egrets, white pelicans, great blue herons, little green herons....

I just asked her what her favorite duck was and she whispered in my ear, "I'm going to choose two. Pintail and Canvasbacks!" I think she was influenced though by her 8 year old sister who said "Pintail" as soon as I asked the question. I really think the Canvasback is the five year old's favorite.

I just took two of my daughters out for a Junior hunt yesterday and they both did very well. They have everything it takes!

Here is a photo of yesterday's success. Each is holding her own birds.

Tom*