Do you hunt deer or...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cjc, Jun 28, 2008.

1. cjc

cjc Senior Refuge Member

do you sit in a blind next to a feeder with corn and shoot them when they walk by, which I wouldn't call "hunting" :fp I think if people do that they might as well shoot one in a pen.

2. carchie

carchie Senior Refuge Member

It depends, when I lived in Texas and all we had access to was the back 40, I did the corn thing, cause it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize spreading your scent over 40 acres is gonna turn a spot off real quick.

Now that I live in the west and have access to more public land than a man could hunt in a lifetime, I hunt more aggressively by spot and stalking. However I don't look down on others folks in the US who don't have the same level of access, nor do I regret how I got started.
    Everything has its place and there's room for all.

3. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Do you believe hunting is done differently all over the world. As long as it isn't being done illegally in the location it is happening.

Irregardless of how I personally feel and whether I would do it that way or not doesn't matter if it is legal.

Unless you are hunting with a handmade hickory bow and your very own handmade arrows and tips, you have already drawn the line somewhere else also.

4. mr buckman

mr buckman Senior Refuge Member

no offense cjc, but this is an awful pointless unproductive woman-like immature off-season thread to start...seriously, couldn't you have taken 5 mintues longer to think about a better thread?

5. waldosworld

waldosworld Senior Refuge Member

I like to hunt the hard way hiking in the hills stalking etc.. never had opportunity to shoot a blind over deer plots etc..,but it doesn't bother me that others do. Now shooting a penned animal is the same as butchering a steer or sheep, don't bother me unless you call it hunting

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

There are lots of acceptable ways to hunt. Many of them regional. When I was growing up we couldnt hunt out of a deer stand higher than 6 feet,. The fish and game used two reasons, unsafe and an unfair advantage.
    I think an alphafa field in most of the western desert states is more unsporting then feeding in Texas.;)
    How about the south where some of those ole boys chase them with hounds.
    Or here in the west where guys take those 200, 300 400 yards shots.
    Or sit above a waterhole,.. the only one for miles.
    I also think there is a place for high fence, weather it is a 5 acre pen or 200 acre or 5000 acre fence. It is not my kind of hunting but it fits for some fellows just like stocked fish or pheasents.
    As far a feeding. I know fellows that run bear baits,.. although hard for some guys to admitt,.. the baiting become the sport,.. not the shooting.
    Im a goose hunter mostly because I can take my kids and the hunts are short( not a week long) Is there a challenge to killing birds on the 'X' field? How about hunting ducks or geese in Canda where some fields have 10-12,15,000 birds on them?
    I live in an area where there are about 50 pass shooters for geese,..most decoy hunters hate them. As a group they have evoled and have tremendous knowledge that many waterfowlers never have.
    To each his own

7. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

What's the matter-- got nada to do so you want to start another big I'm better than you war??

8. cjc

cjc Senior Refuge Member

No guys, I'm not trying to start another thread that is stirring the pot intentionally. I saw a video of this type of hunting and it just looked like, well, not hunting. Where i live, i have to hike and stalk the prey. It is hard work. I thought maybe I would get a response, like I have, from some hunters with different opinions on the matter. No offense to any of you guys. I just thought if you could sit there with a beer in your hand and wait till a deer comes in, you really aren't doing much hunting. If i have missed the point on how much work it really is to do this, please let me know, so I can appreciate it more. That's all, and Thanks.

9. furface

furface Elite Refuge Member

sounds pretty judgemental to me...

10. QHs PAW

QHs PAW Senior Refuge Member

So, let me get this right, you're opposed to sitting in a blind waiting for your quarry to walk, fly or swim in to feed (on things like corn,millet,rice,apples or wheat and/or other grains and food sources) or water?
    So then, you either only pass shoot your waterfowl and only after checking to make sure your target is not on it's way to or from the feeding,watering roosting and/or bedding area?
    I think we have enough division in the ranks and, even if I don't hunt a particular way, if it is legal what's the problem? Why is it sporting to blindhunt for waterfowl but not big game?
    I don't treestand hunt much compared to many of the hardcore treestand people but, I spend no less than a month worth of days prior to hunting that treestand. That's far more time than most fowlers spend per blind location that I've seen.
    Am I missing something?:confused: