Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Do you hunt deer or...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cjc, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

This is why hunters will never get it together like the antis. The antis are united. They are strong. Damnit, if it is legal than you should support it whole heartedly no matter how you feel about it. You don't have to take part in it, but you should support your fellow hunter.

2. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

cjc, that's how I hunt and let me give some explanation. I'd LOVE to stalk the deer and elk, but it can't be done around here like that.
    I live in East Texas. 99% of the land in this county is privately owned. We do have some National Forest land nearby but it's very crowded and I don't care to hunt in the circus atmosphere there.
    So I hunt private land. The landowner is a big timber company. They make us leasee's buy a group insurance policy. That police says we must obey lease rules. The lease rules, written by the big timber company says two stands per person, don't be walking/stalking/crawling/road hunting...you get the picture. They want you in your stand or not hunting. Liability reasons. Period. So it really comes down to: hunt over a feeder in these exceedingly thick pineywoods or don't hunt. I've hunted S. Florida for turkey and what they call thick stuff ain't near as thick as what I see locally. You would have few areas you could see more than 40 yards or so. So just waiting one out could mean seeing two, maybe three deer per season.
    Since I would be genuinely in fear for my life if I attempted to stalk deer in the National Forest, I sit a stand over a corn feeder.
    It's not my first choice of how to do it but it's pretty much all I can do and be hunting deer in the fall so I do it. Thanks to all the posters who recognize there's more than one type hunting method/style.

3. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

My opinion....

Baiting deer isn't hunting....it is luring. Hunting is positioning yourself in the deer's "backyard" and hoping he doesn't notice till it is too late. Luring is attracting deer to move out of it's "backyard" (or change its habits) and towards you in order to kill it. It is more like fur trapping, than hunting. Why not just make yourself a giant conibear and set it on a deer trail?

4. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

This works just as good!

[​IMG]

5. Loincloth

Loincloth Elite Refuge Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: So do you use a gun so that you can shoot a deer From outside its "backyard"? Or do deer just have mighty big back yards? :l Or do you feel that gun hunting is "sharpshooting" and not hunting.

Sometimes I think that the anti hunters I run into are the most self rightous azzes' I can ever hope to meet. Then again....... :l

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

So do you hunt ducks or lure them in?

7. furface

furface Elite Refuge Member

Waterproof
    That reminds me of the time a local Deputy Sherif pulled up and watched us duckhunting for while. After a bit we went over and talked with him. It seems they had a complaint from a woman saying we were tricking the ducks and killing them. :l :l :l

8. duck01

duck01 Senior Refuge Member

Good idea! Where can a man get a trap that big?

Actually I prefer hanging beside a big white oak tree but have no problem with some baiting if it is legal.

9. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

Thanks to the antis in Washington I had to hang up my victor deer traps with the conibears and go back to the old fashioned of actually shooting deer.:rolleyes:

10. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Be happy that is all they got. In Colorado, thanks to the anti's, we had to hang up all of our victor and connibear traps for EVERYTHING!!!!!

Everyone needs to remember, the anti hunters know they can't us all on at once so they are picking us apart individually. You need to SUPPORT ALL LEGAL METHODS of hunting whether it is something you would do or not. IF we don't stand UNITED we will fall individually.