Do you hunt deer or...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cjc, Jun 28, 2008.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

While I don't personally "hunt" using this method, it is legal in the lower 1/2 of SC due to the size of the deer herd, and, I imagine, due to the swamps, etc, where it can be pretty rough to find deer 20 yards from you.

You need to keep in mind that it's not always about the "sport of hunting", but putting meat in the freezer, and managing the herd size within any given area.

You also said you didn't mean to offend anyone, but you forgot that you included the " :fp " icon as if you were looking down on anyone who did use bait piles.

Do you use deer urine or estrus lures? Do you use apple or peanut butter scent? If so, you are "luring" deer.

What's the difference between a corn pile and a nice little soy bean or corn plot? If you've got a corn field and are sitting up in a tree with a high powered rifle, you're ambushing a deer that walks into view, so what's the difference?

2. cjc

cjc Senior Refuge Member

Ok, so i am a young guy and even though I've been hunting all my life, I've only hunted here in NM. I didn't realize that some of you don't have any other choice but to hunt that way.

3. carchie

carchie Senior Refuge Member

Its not just a young guy thing. As a young guy, your mind hasn't hardened to the notion that your is the only right and true way, as shown by your statements on this thread.

But as a former Texan now living in Oregon. I see this attitude from guys who have always had the luxury of hunting vast tracts of public/public accessable land. I can almost guarantee you the guys back east aren't sitting around the camping fire, ragging on the western folks who hike miles into roadless areas, spending weeks roughing for just 1 season kill which most western state allow. Each method has its place based on the habitat available to the hunter. If you ever get a chance to try the eastern thing of stand hunting, with or without bait. Give it a shot, it probably won't be as easy as whats seen on television. Animals get pretty spooky when they've been shot at for 2-3 months continually. Take it easy and go luck with your hunt this season, I need to get in shape for archery elk/muley season in a 2 months.

4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

yeah, cause their jealous:yes dont here of too many folks from out west whose dream big game hunt is to travel to the east coast to kill a deer

5. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Listen....to each their own....If it is legal to prey upon animals using their natural instinct "hunger"...then go for it....(that doesn't mean I want to do it, nor do I have to!)

I don't use a gun...I quit gun hunting big game about 10yrs ago. I bowhunt only...so yes, I get inside the "backyard"....

I "fool" them in....I don't lure them....I am not baiting them to create a habit so my job is easier....I guess I just don't think baiting is hunting.....it is more like killing....If you like it....Go for it....I wouldn't find it rewarding...

Kinda like sitting outside a McDonalds waiting on a fat guy....you know they are coming....sit back, relax, and take your pick.....:D

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

wingmastr23 what do you consider spot and stalk then? Is that different than jump shooting? Do you not consider putting out decoys and calling ducks into you the same as sitting in a treestand (or other hide) and waiting or calling big game in to you?

Why split hairs? If something is legal where it is done why should one hunter look down upon another hunter that uses that method?

Sounds like the fly-fishing versus spincast versus bait dunker debate to me.

7. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

It is the fly vs spin vs bait debate. My way is better than your way! :rolleyes:

Some guys have better areas, more deer, or just plain a gifting from above to be able to get on deer & know when they are gonna do what.

I've been in the better areas with more deer a time or two and understand how some guys would think their socks don't stink... Public land FL has been my greatest challenge in hunting so far. (No baiting allowed on public land)

I'm about as deaf as a rock and couldn't stalk a deer if my life depended on it. I even gave up bow hunting because The little noises I couldn't hear were alerting the deer and they were jumping the string quite a bit. I lost 2 bucks and hung it up. Muzzleloader and rifle for this guy.

Passing up 3 -15 bucks per trip! :nutz I guess you can get real picky in a situation like that.

8. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

If it is legal.....go for it. I am not trying to sound condescending....It just doesn't sound like hunting TO ME....

Spot and stalk....again...you are sneaking into its back yard....and this is the ultimate challenge....much harder than treestand hunting IMO.

Calling game....decoys, etc requires an acquired skill .....if you suck at calling, you don't call much...cause you will screw it up....

Throwing decoys out doesn't always get you the result either...it has to be lifelike enough to fool them...which is an acquired skill.

Jumping in the first tree big enough to hold your weight will also not get you a deer....you must learn/hunt enough to figure out where to set up.

Before I moved to CA, I had a feeder behind my house....I would have 10-20 deer a night go thru there.....Didn't hunt any of them....Why? Cause it seems like shooting fish in a barrel to me....What type of acquired skill do you need to buy a bag of feed, and put it in a feeder? Sure, you need to know how to shoot....but that is called shooting.....not hunting.

I guess the bottom line for ME is Hunting is about the hunt....and the finality of the hunt is the shot.....shooting the animal is an accumulation of the total hunt.

9. Trailman

Trailman Elite Refuge Member

In Maryland its illegal to drink beer while hunting over bait.

10. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

If you've ever hunted in Texas where it's all brush country, if they didn't feed/corn roads, you'd never see the deer! Unless you got the $$ to put in a bunch of food plots. But if you don't own the land that can be tough. I've seen ranches down there without a single food plot and you ain't walking in that stuff spot and stalking.

Back east we have crops the deer like and will scout those fields and figure out their entry/exits and set stands and bowhunt them. It's almost as good as bait but you still don't see the big boys til the Rut!

Doug