Do you hunt deer or...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cjc, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

My Mule Deer hunting is 100% walk and stalk. Won't hunt over crops.
    At the ranch in Minnesota it's 100% enclosed heated stands over crops.
    Totally different hunts. After some long physically draining Western hunts it's nice to sit back, put your feet up and watch the deer. We let the young bucks walk and go for the big guys. Not unusual to see 40-50 deer at a time feeding early morning and dusk. Many are young bucks.
    Hunting over crops is not a lot different then baiting, but I've never put feed out.
    If baiting is the way you hunt, fine with me. Have a GREAT hunt.

2. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

Every hunter hunts with bait of some sort wether it is natural food source, a water hole, bedding area where they feel secure. State agencies use hunting as a management tool so if they feel they need to allow baiting to get to their management goals great.

3. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

a true westerner would never say that...

screw sitting around and waiting...i do it, but i hate it. necessary evil

4. littletom1

littletom1 Senior Refuge Member

Have done and will do both. I live in the south east. If say you have 40 acres to spot and stalk how the heck is that gona work. Or if you are hunting the thick stuff and can't see but 40 yards. You going to stalk up there and poke him or what? And what do you think of them boys in the deep south that hunt with hounds? And would you come to ky and say what you did in public? Love to see how that plays out:dv:flame Some just don't know when to get there mouth shut.

5. SCTIMBER

SCTIMBER Senior Refuge Member

Hunting in SC is a lot different than hunting out west where you can see for miles. Most of my hunting is done overlooking fields or shooting lanes. It is possible to kill deer without baiting with corn but I can promise you that if you do bait it isn't as easy as it looks on tv.

If you don't have food plots and hunt pine plantations, there isn't much to use other than corn.

6. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

I personally put out about 250 lbs of shelled corn then grenade them when they walk in. Less chance of missing that way. You got a problem with that sport? :rolleyes:

7. JHunter

JHunter Elite Refuge Member

All of the mule deer hunting I've seen on TV out west consist of the guide and hunter driving around in a truck with binoculars looking at crop fields. They find a buck they want to shoot, step out of the truck and shoot it from 200+ yards. Seems just about as easy as hunting a feeder.:rolleyes:
    TV, perception might be skewed, oh by the way, WWE wrestling is fake.

8. cjc

cjc Senior Refuge Member

:scratch Damn this thread is still going. Sorry for the uproar :doh