Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Do you know who I am?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by swampswimmingshrek, Oct 15, 2007.

What bird am I?

1. Woodcock

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Snipe

44 vote(s)
    60.3%
  3. None of the above

24 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

I want to see how many people know what this bird is.
    Please no comments just vote.

[​IMG]

2. swampswimmingshrek

Okay 8 of you have veiwed it with nothing voted. Please. Vote. This is for my information and the votes are not public.

Thanks
    SSS

3. chilidog

chilidog Senior Refuge Member

in think it is a wood ****

4. swampswimmingshrek

Okay here is the deal. I'm glad to see in my polls I have done that more that 60% of hunters would think its a snipe.

This is a Long Billed Dowitcher.

Sunday F&G gave me a misdemeanor ticket for 3 of these little buggers. It took the guy 10 minutes to even deside they weren't snipe. I had 3 seconds while they were in flight. Also had no idea we even had these things. I argued that giving me a ticket wasn't right since they are so simular and there isn't even a picture in the regs of a snipe. He told me it was a tough deal. And handed me my ticket. Now I have to go to court. I did 3 polls here is what I found.

Idaho forum
    30 voters
    20 Were wrong about what bird this is.

Main forum
    149 Voters
    94 Were wrong about what bird it was.

Duckhunting chat.
    11 voters
    9 were wrong about what bird it was.

Here is a common snipe
    [​IMG]

5. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

It's a raw deal, but the regulations make no exception for intent. You had three birds that were not allowed, no big deal, it's not like you had 60 of them. Any game warden would have wrote you a ticket. Most judges will tell you the same thing, you had 3 illegal birds, that's it, end of story.

You messed up, not intentionally, but the mistake was yours.

6. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

Okay I had to read this one...

that suck Bryce and I would fight it... for crap sakes the regs tell us what a swan is and what to look for... but nothing about snipe... my understanding also after speaking with F & G is that there are 2 types of snipe and if I choose to shoot snipe I better make sure its a common snipe....:mad: I don't think it is worth a shotgun shell to even shoot one... anymore...

I would fight it... the fish cop has to show up to court... and most of the time they are spread so thin they can't afford to show up... and since big game open they would rather send a fish cop to a court room on a big game charge then yours maybe...

don't know what each bird will cost it might not be worth the money to get a attorney... your a smart enough guy to fight it yourself... but if you have a chance to loose your license then I would Pay big time to keep that...

Sorry about all this and I'm glad you told everyone so now we don't make the same mistake.:tu

But Next year there better be some More info on Snipe with pics and what not to shoot? Maybe this is something the IWA can put together and present to F & G??

7. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

I agree with IFW and Trav both. I would fight it but I bet the Judge views it as black and white. I would plead not guilty and ask for a jury, you are bound to get at least a couple of hunters on there. There should be some mention of this in the regulations and a picture comparison, heck I thought a snipe was a snipe. I guess this is a new twist to the getting screwed on a snipe hunt.

8. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

You would be better off contacting the prosecuiting attorney and saying that you'd be willing to plead guilty, if it were reduced to a infraction, with a fine to pay and no loss of hunting priviliges. You might be surprised at how willing they'd be not to have to deal with it.

Yeah, you'll be out a few hundred, but you won't have to worry about not hunting.

9. IdaHowitzer

IdaHowitzer Elite Refuge Member

Wow,

That's too bad.

I know, hindsight is 20/20 but I have never shot snipe since there are so many just like them. Thanks for letting us know. If you can get a plea-bargain that will let you hunt, do it.

Although it would be awesome to fight and win, because this is something that F&G needs to adress, the chances are small and loosing would suck even more. I would take Trav28's advise and then go public with the issue.

10. flashman

flashman Elite Refuge Member