Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Do you know who I am?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by swampswimmingshrek, Oct 15, 2007.

What bird am I?

1. Woodcock

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Snipe

44 vote(s)
    60.3%
  3. None of the above

24 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Senior Refuge Member

You are well within your rights to contact an attorney before going to trial.

Just ask Larry "wide stance" Craig about not contacting an attorney before pleading. :yes

2. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

You can absolutely talk to a lawyer prior to pleading anything.!!!!!
    In fact, i would strongly suggest you do so!!!
    As one lawyer told me in a case.... it isn't about whats right or wrong, its about what the evidence says.....unfortunately i learned what he meant 2 months later:rolleyes:
    Anyway, for what its worth... the only thing you can fight is whether the animal you killed WAS a dowitcher.. If you say well, I messed up but it was an honest mistake etc. Your done.
    So talk with a lawyer and see what he/she says.. Did they take pictures of the birds, are the people who identified the birds as dowithcers ornithologists or experts in identifying birds? did they keep the birds for identification. The only way to question it is WAS IT a snipe or wasn't it? The fact that they are very similar can create reasonable doubt that the identification by the fish and game was correct.

3. tedlyduckster

tedlyduckster Senior Refuge Member

Glenn,

I may be wrong, but I think he's talking about talking to an attorney from the Prosecutor's office. Maybe???

4. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

I wasn't sure. He stated that he could not talk to a lawyer until after pleading and I did not take it that it was the DA.. He can ask to see the citation issuing officers citation etc as a matter of freedom of information act. That might give him some information on what they have on him prior to his plea. Often, he can have a lawyer actually talk to the DA before the plea and find out what they have. I might be wrong, but I think after the plea, they go through the discovery process where they have to divulge ALL the evidence that they have against bryce. If it is requested;)

5. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

[​IMG]

6. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Now make it black like you see it in the early morning and yep your screwed.

7. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Yep sorry guys my bad.

For some reason this all rubbed me the wrong way and I really don't even care to hunt anymore this year.

Wolves are everywhere so the heck with elk hunting.
    You make a mistake and F&G gives it to you.
    Then you stop and look at what money you spent already plus this ticket and it really takes the fun out of it. I put the new decoys away, pulled the boat out of the garage and put the cover back on. Put basically everything up. Sure I will miss it but I'm not sure I want to invest anymore into something that can get you in this much trouble all over a tweety bird. I'm just a little frusterated.

Well I will keep you guys posted. It will probably be Nov. before we know anything so good luck. Oh and the boys I talk to every night have been limiting out on ducks everyday. So they must be moving good with the storms.:tu

8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

Snipe:
    [​IMG]

Dowitcher:
    [​IMG]

Just looking at those photos I'm wondering if they are labeled wrong, but I copied them exactly as they were from google images. I'm thinking I won't ever shoot one, just to be safe. Sucks that we had to learn this through one of the guys having to get hammered for it. Hope it all works out in your interest.

9. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

Bryce,

Can Chas come out and Play with us then...? I'm sure she is going to want to run her dog...!

Jake

10. offroadbaby

offroadbaby Elite Refuge Member

I know I'm late getting into this, but here's my 2 cents.

Being an ex officer, I can assure you the GW WILL show up. If he did his job correctly he took the birds and entered them into an evidence freezer at his office. My advise is to plead innocent at your first appearance. Then talk to the prosecutor, explain yourself and ask for a lesser sentence. Maybe offer to help educate other hunters or work it off in a hunter ed class. Something that will benefit other hunters and the community. If you ask for a jury you'll be hit with paying a huge bill ontop of being convicted because you did infact shoot illegal birds.

Obviouslly in the future, if you're not 100% on the ID of a bird, just don't shoot. I've never seen either of those birds and wouldn't have shot anyway, but still, it all comes down to the shooter's responsibilty to know what he's shooting. Good luck