Do you Pluck?

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by ladyhawke, Mar 29, 2001.

1. ladyhawke

ladyhawke Refuge Member

Would like to find out about plucking birds and ?cleaning feathers to use in bed linen. Last time I tried was many years ago when Saskatchewan was dry, ducks few & far between and not terribly healthy - I had ?fleas? in the feathers and gave up!!!
    We usually breast our birds but I would like to try plucking to save the feathers as well as try some recipes for whole birds.
    Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mrs. Quacker Attacker

Mrs. Quacker Attacker Elite Refuge Member

We don't fully pluck our birds, but do save all the breast "down" feathers as we are making a GIANT pillow.
    I have heard a couple of different ways to get rid of "bugs".
    1-put the feathers in a bag and sprinkle some borax in there and shake it up then leave the feathers in there for a week or so.
    2-Go to the local farm shop (IFA here) and get some livestock bug killer and use the same method as the Borax.

We got bugs in one of our big game mounts, and the spray worked awesome.
    You may also check with your taxidermist and see what he recommends.

As far as cooking the whole bird, I cant help ya with that...Sorry

3. skiduck

skiduck Elite Refuge Member

Odessa,TX....but usually on a wellsite dropping fi
    Hi ladyhawke,
    skiduck here. As far as cooking the whole bird, I know plucking is a chore, but my Dad and I used to pluck a FEW ducks each year and when all the big feathers and most of the down was plucked, we got a pair of cooking tongs and held the plucked duck over a gas stove flame to sear the rest of the down off. We made sure the insides were cleaned out real good and then put a little of our favorite seasoning all over the inside cavity of the bird and then froze them. After they thaw when you are ready to cook them, just add your favorite stuffing mixture and tie it up like a chicken and roast or rotissorie your bird. Remember with wild game, don't overcook. You probably know that though. Thats what Dad showed me, hope it helps.
    skiduck :cool:

4. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Excuse my intrusion, Ladies...just dropped in to see what's goin' on at your site.
    Ladyhawke: I usually only pluck the young Mallards and Teal. One method that makes it easier is to "rough pluck" them to the down and pinfeathers. While I'm doing that I have a 5 Gal. Bucket of water boiling on a fire. Soon as I have the ducks ready, I drop a bar of Parafin or Canning Wax into the bucket, wait til it melts, then hold the ducks by the feet and dunk them down in the water. Remove them s l o w l y and they will be coated with the wax. Let them cool and you can peel them just like an Orange. It gets all the down and most of the pins.
    For Roasting: Pre heat the oven to 250, place the ducks in a roasting pan or Dutch Oven and bake for about 8 hrs. I then remove the ducks, baste them inside and out with Orange Marmalade and put them back in on the rack to brown completely. Tender and YUMMMY!

5. Mrs. PBG

Mrs. PBG New Member

I only pluck the gray ones that won't take a color. :mad: Sorry I just couldn't resist.

:D

6. Merz

Merz Senior Refuge Member

Ladyhawke, good question!!

Greybeard, great tip, does it work well for geese?
    :)

7. Merz

Merz Senior Refuge Member

8. ladyhawke

ladyhawke Refuge Member

Mrs. PBG

I just got home from work, a little brain dead > it took me a while to get the joke but that was a good one....if I did that I would be darn near bald hehe! :eek:

9. Cajun Trader

Cajun Trader Gold Member<br>In Memory<br>12/24/36 - 02/24/05

Ladies, doing a Greybeard here also. Was staying up late so I could turn the clock forward BEFORE I went to bed and was surfing the forms.

Years ago, we would pick the breast down feathers and my mother would put them in a pillow case and hang them out on the clothes line and let the sun and rain clean them. Don't remember how long thet would stay there , but they would be fresh when she made pillows and 'down feather beds' with them.

It kinda makes me sad now to think that when we finally got 'lectricity' and a lectric blanket, we threw them mattress away.

BTW, Phil Robertson's new line of caps has on the back--'our women pick ducks'

I have a receipe for duck that I posted a couple years ago. Now that we have a bunch of new folk, probably will do so again soon.

Thanks for letting me drop by.

Trader

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Merz: Yes, it does exteremly good on Geese. I do, however, remove the wings and neck of a Goose before picking.
    I'm like Cajun Trader...I come from that generation that grew up with feather ticked Pillows and Mattress'. Those and a feather ticked comforter were the things that kept us warm unless Mom or Dad got up in the middle of the night and "banked" the old Round Oak Stove.
    And by the way...if I picked the "grey ones" I wouldn't have a hair on my body! Mrs. PBG, that was one KOOL response!LMAO!!!