Do you put a standard ID collar on your dog

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by flyfishz, Nov 1, 2017.

1. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

Why don't people put the dogs name on the collar? I guess you would be afraid someone will steal your dog now that he knows his name and can convince the dog hes friendly?

I think putting your address would be more dangerous

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

chipped and just an e-collar when hunting.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well, at least that way, they know where to send the ransom note. :tu

4. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

Both regular collar with nameplate and e-collar.

5. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

boomerang tags are awesome.

I usually put "Needs Daily Meds" and "FOR REWARD CALL" on the tag with my phone #. Also can put your vet's # on there.

Mine are chipped but I keep a boomerang tag on the ecollar and their regular collars. Only wear an e collar while hunting.

6. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Occasionally use an e-collar when hunting with other people and dogs, otherwise nothing! Definitely do not use a "choke" collar as they will definitely choke if you are unlucky enough to have them catch the ring on something!! Mine are microchipped. LL

7. lovetohunt

lovetohunt New Member

I had my phone number and "Needs Medication" on the collar. My old GSP would get out once in great while when we lived in town. I had people call me frantically saying they had my dog and wanted to get him home as soon as possible so he could get his medicine. No one seems to want a dog that requires medication.

8. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

My BLM has a microchip. But at almost 14 years - maybe it is dead... He does not wear a collar when out hunting or training - or even walking down the street. When we are outside - if he ain't sitting he's at heel - until I give him a command. I give him the Go Go Go command when we arrive at the "dog run" - but he already knows what he gets to do when he gets there - he craps in his strategic spots to mark "his" territory...

9. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

I am not saying your are wrong, in anyway. This is just my opinion, that was changed this weekend. So, here is my issue with that. At some point, something is going to spook the dog. It could be a small little "cower and hide" behind your leg scare. Or it could be a great big "F you guys, I am out of here", full blown freak out like I saw this weekend. And it doesn't take much either. We were hunting out of state, 3.5 hours from home, when my buddies dog bolted at 8am from the pit blind. We had four trucks making a search pattern over 2 counties. Four and a half hours and lots of diesel later, we found the dog 4 miles away on some random porch. He was sitting there like he owned the place. But during that search, knocking on doors, stopping random cars and trucks on the back roads of Arkansas, and handing out hand written phone numbers, I though if someone does find his dog, how in the hell is anyone going to get us to get him? How is he going to tell his wife and 2 small kids that their dog is just gone? And how much money has he just poured down this dog to throw it all away on some rice field turn row in an Arkansas?

But I used to be the same way. I was arrogant about how good my dog was too. The dog is at heel or "under control" at all times. But I got over being arrogant. S#!+ happens that we can't control. Dogs are not perfect, nor can they reason like a person. Though we would like to think they can.

All that to say, I just purchased a name "bar" for my dog. It will have dogs name, phone number, "needs meds", and "microchipped" on it. I got the bar over a regular tag as i think it will be less likely to hang / snag on something. The risks stated in this thread about having the info on the tag are not nearly as great as the risk of loosing my dog. The risk of no ID with phone number on the dog is, far greater. And yes, I stole the "needs meds" idea from this thread.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    duck dawg likes this.
  10. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

You have a point. Fortunately my BLM never took off nor was spooked. When the whistle peeps = he follows the command.

Now at 14 he'll run for about 20 yards before he says screw it I'm walking that bumper isn't going anywhere.