Do you put a standard ID collar on your dog

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by flyfishz, Nov 1, 2017.

1. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

I always put "Needs Daily Meds", my name, and two phone numbers on the nameplate.

Don't put the dog's name!

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Chipped with a breakaway collar. Luckily, most of the times where I hunt we're on a small island, really no where for the dog to go. As a CBR she's not real chummy with strangers. I like the idea of "Needs Daily Medicine".

3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

dogs are chipped but I still put an Id collar on all their collars. had to take one off at or last hunt test though as requested in the holding area. even if the dog is obedient I would want someone to be able to track down other family if something happened to me out in the bush although I don't know that the dogs would leave me well maybe if they got hungry enough. :)

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

About 25 years ago, I was solo hunting with my old dog ( he was probably6 or 7 years old & fairly seasoned). I got out of the car, and removed my dog's collar because I was concerned about snags. we made about a 2 mile death march to hunt some backwater on the back side of an island on the Missouri river. When we approached the spot, we walked over a big levee ( Monarch ), and jumped probably 25 deer that had bedded in the tall grass just behind the levee. My dog was typically steady, but for some reason, he took off, and I watched him chase the deer for a couple hundred yards,...into the woods, and out of sight. I blew a whistle, and shouted his name for at least an hour. then I decide to walk in the direction where he ran. I set down my bag of decoys, and shed my coat, and walked for what seemed a lifetime, but was probably only a couple of hours. finally, I decided he was probably gone forever. I was sick about taking his collar off, and him being without any ID. I was sad, and exhausted, and made my way back to my decoys as I practiced putting my mouth around the words I was going to have to tell my wife......Rep is gone! As I walked to an opening in the woods, I could see my bag of decoys about 200 yards away, and next to it, I could just faintly see a small coal black object sitting next to it.....It was Rep!....... may never have been more relieved in my life.

So, anymore, I have an ecollar on my dogs, with a nameplate on it........which is also not a bad idea, in case you ever lose your collar. I have, and a member of my training group promptly returned it....for that matter......, a 2 inch strand of orange tape might keep you from losing your transmitter, too.

5. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

I like this slid on the e-collar. And I like the idea of phone and owner name with needs meds as the only. Clever.

large_slide2.gif

6. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

Tuck31 where did you get that?

I have the collar with my name and phone number and city, state, but take it off hunting in water due to the potential of snags. They are chipped also. I like the idea of needs meds as people might be faster to call. I found a few dogs with collars that called the people who took their time to come get them and didn't even give me a thanks.

7. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...VQrjACh3guQUAEAQYAiABEgLbB_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought a similar one that has slots in case the collar has buckles on both ends.

8. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Boomerang tags