Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Do you use a climbing stand? If so, what kind?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by kywaterfowler, Jul 30, 2001.

1. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler Moderator Moderator

Most Northeastern part of Southeast Central Kentuc
    I have a Summit Viper that climbs smooth and quiet and I have used it the last two years.

I usually only use it when visiting an area for a single day or on public land.

I do prefer my ladder stands but that Viper has come in awfully handy at times. The only regret I have is that they have come out with a lighter model now.

2. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

I'm in the same boat! I use an older Summit, with the ol' vee-bars. It looks just like thier new Bushmaster model, minus the cables. I hang several other stands, but it's sure nice to have that mobility when they ain't where you're other stands are hung!

3. Scout

Now that I think about it, that sucker gave me a 22ft elevator ride down a shagbark hickory last year. Maybe it's time to trade 'er in?! hehehe

4. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler Moderator Moderator

Most Northeastern part of Southeast Central Kentuc
    I know what ya mean Scout when you say elevator ride. I took one about 15 feet using a loggy bayou one time on a rainy day.

You know what else stinks? Having your feet come out of the base while climbing :mad:

5. jamie

jamie Guest

I have a API grand slam bowhunter. It is great easy,quiet,light and very comfortable. I have used alot of climbers & this is by far the best all around.

6. blu4runner

blu4runner Senior Refuge Member

Just sold my Loggy Bayou. Purchased an Ol' Man Grand Vision. THe loggy had a weight capacity of 250 lbs and I a bit heavier than that now. A friend let me try his grand vision and I like it since the cables climb quietly and it has a capacity of up to 400 lbs. The drawback is the stand weighs about 25 lbs. Safety should be a concern of all since I read much acout people falling. I do also wear a safety belt while in my stand.

7. Scout

I rattled for a friend last season, and he put me in an API Shooting Star. That is one comfy stand! I would highly reccomend it for any of you with 300 bucks that you don't know what to do with.... :D

8. arkhunter

arkhunter Senior Refuge Member

Ill second the motion on the Shooting Star. I just bought one last year and have no complaints with is whatsoever.

But I got it for less than that! The Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine, Texas had em on sale for $249. That still aint cheap, but its a good investment if youre gonna be sitting in one very long.

9. Cootman

Cootman Senior Refuge Member

I use a Warren and Sweat Bowhunter series. Very sturdy stand and it climbs quietly. Very light to pack into the woods too.

Counting the days till the hunting season starts.....

Cootman/////