Does anyone hunt with a Beagle?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Backwing, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Backwing

Backwing Elite Refuge Member

I just got a six month old Beagle, and was wondering if anyone has any experience hunting pheasants with Beagles.
    I know they are used for rabbit hunting, but I think I am goint to work with her on pheasants for this year.

2. Otto

Otto Banned

Growing up I had a friend that had a Beagle that would retrieve ducks. Very funny looking watching it bring back a bird the size of him.
    Good Luck, Sounds kinda fun.

Otto

3. 1 shot kill

1 shot kill Moderator Moderator

A science teacher at my school aslo has a beagle that he hunts ducks with, I don't know if he uses him on pheasants or not. Kinda funny though, usin a fox dog for ducks :D :D :D :D

4. arctic hunter

arctic hunter Elite Refuge Member

i tried using mine to hunt grouse with. she did ok, but really didnt know what to look for. she kept getting on rabbit trails. if she happened up on a grouse, her mood would change eneough that i could normally tell. i dont know how well they would do on pheasants.

5. RProvines

RProvines Guest

One of my two beagles was birdy by nature. She srtuck a trail this year at 6 months old and I couldn't figure out what was going on. She's normally a chopper but was working this track yipping. I let her go and "vroom" a **** bird goes up. I let her nuzzle th ebird and she's flushed fo rme ever since. The distance is hard to control, though. I just bought some quail to work my springer with and she went nuts. Hope she'll still run bunnies.

6. AGR

AGR Guest

I know a guy that has a beagle cocker cross. When she gets on hot pheasent scent she starts howling/barking and doesn't quit until she pushes up that rooster. You just have to be with her when she starts bawling and you'll get a shot.

7. yabetterduk

yabetterduk Senior Refuge Member

Never seen it. Or heard of it. But if you do it you better not miss Because I don't think you will get your dog back. Long gone on the trail if you know what I mean. :D