Dog coughing and splitting clear fluid

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by EHO IV, Feb 10, 2012.

1. EHO IV

EHO IV Senior Refuge Member

I came home last night to my 4 year old yellow lab coughing and spitting up clear fluid. My neighbor said that he had been doing it all afternoon. It was too late to do anything about it but I called the vet last night to see if I can get him in today. It is almost like something is caught in his throat or irritating it badly. I fed him a little bit last night and he gobbled it up. After eating he was able to settle down a bit and go to sleep. He did start coughing again late last night bc there was small pools of clear lequid all over the mud room this am. It is not an intestinal thing bc he is eating and using the bathroom fine. He is just trying to expell air from deep in his lungs. I have heard of kennel cough but never experienced it. He has been vacinated for it (shot not nasal) and he is on heart guard. Any ideas??? The vet called back and I can get him in this afternoon.

Ed

2. Mike Boufford

Mike Boufford Elite Refuge Member

Get a chest x-ray done right away so that you can get an idea of what his lungs look like. If you see any cloudiness in his lungs, have a test done for blasto.

3. EHO IV

Mike,

Thanks for hte post. I had never heard of Blasto before and did a search on the forum. Very scary disease. One of the links in the forum that I found ahd a video of a dog suffering from it and the coughing/hacking sounded just like my dog.

Ed

4. EHO IV

Mike, I just realized that I got the link to the website from one of your previous posts. Sorry for your loss. I got an appointment to see the vet this afternoon at 4 pm. They did say they might be able to work me in if I sit there and wait. In your opinion, am I okay to wait until this afternoon or should I find a place to take him now? I am just worried and don't know anything about this kind of stuff. Is it contageous to other dogs? All three dogs live in close proximity to one another.

5. retrievercrazy

retrievercrazy Senior Refuge Member

This is sound advice. Anything out of the ordinary in the lungs should show itself. I lost a dog to Speto-caucus-bovis. AKA Foxtail seeds. Mean seeds. Seeds were taken in through his mouth we belive and infected his lungs. Terrible thing to have happen to a young dog. Hope everything works out.

6. Mike Boufford

Thanks.

Blasto is not contagious unless there is a swap of fluids (i.e. blood). Breathing the same air doesn't pass this on as a virus is passed.

You should be fine getting him in today. A good thing on your side is that the dog is eating. Once the dog stops eating, you have serious problems on your hands because dogs will lose weight rapidly once they dtop eating.

If the x-ray shows cloudiness in the lung, beg plead and/or order your vet to put the dog on a conazole. It won't hurt the dog if he doesn't have blasto, but it will start the healing process a lot sooner if the dog does have blasto. We did this with a friends dog, and it made a difference. This dog was exposed to blasto at the same time Jake was, but had not shown symptoms until Jake was in full bloom.

Wow, I didn't realize that this is how your pup died. I know a lot of people are wary of foxtail. What would have been the course of action had the vets caught it early enough?

7. retrievercrazy

retrievercrazy Senior Refuge Member

Mike, The seed has to be removed. I have not seen anyway else to cure this, though I may be wrong but this is what I have read and been told. Pepper had 5 in his lungs, too late to save him. How's Tess?

8. muddydog

muddydog Moderator

I report out positive Blasto cases every week, but there are also other fungals to be worried about as well.

get the hound to a competent DVM.

9. Mike Boufford

Tess is back to her old self BUT Luke is smelling her unit which may be a sign that the kidney disease is ramping up, at least that's what our regular vet tells us it means.

I cannot believe her energy level. The dog is constantly wagging her tail, and she hasn't done that in a long, long time.

10. EHO IV

Thnaks for the info. Vet said it was kennel cough and that she hasn't seen any cases of blasto in the area. Ended up putting the dog on antibiotics along with putting the other dogs on them at the same time to prevent them from coming down with it. The one that was coughing stopped as of Tuesday. What I can't figure out is now the other adult male has started coughing and splitting up as of last night even though he has been on antibiotics since last week also. His spit-up isn't clear though, more darker in color. Going to make another visit to the vet this afternoon.