Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dog hunters

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Totally disgusted up the road with the guys letting the dogs loose. They'll release the hounds with out any permission on either side of the road, just dump them in the middle of the lane. They are running hounds on posted property with no hunters any where, just letting the dogs chase all day long. Had dog #62 trying to jump into the back of my pick up last week going down my lane, what the heck is up with that? It's not the dogs fault...it's the person releasing them. I have tried to talk to these boys, no luck. They just don't care about any thing or any body.

2. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to my neck of the woods!
    Hell, I've seen guys with shotguns in trucks, driving in fields after the running dogs.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see them hanging out of copters to get a shot...like in hog hunting.
    Welcome to my neck of the woods...there's a bunch of dumb 'round here!

3. GunnRunner

GunnRunner New Member

There dog days are numbered. The stupidity will solve the problem.

4. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

I don't think the DGIF has the spine to do anything. Those dog guys can be some mean SOBs when they don't get their way. It's going to have to be a legislative solution, but again, the dog bullies can be pretty intimidating.
    It's gonna take a lot of non-hunting landowners to kick the hornet's nest in order to make the change. Too many hunters fall for the "we have to stick together" baloney.

5. Little Ruddy

I have no issue with them running dogs on a piece they have permission to hunt. I have talked to the president of one club and told him to call me a day ahead when they run dogs near our property...cause I would take a bus load of hunters up and surround our property and shoot every deer that came across. Haven't heard a word from them. The game dept. did a study years ago about the dog hunting and determined that they would not do anything with it.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Was hunting two Saturday's ago on the edge of an uncut bean field. Dogs in the distance. Deer appear in our field, looking towards the dogs and then looking at me in a tripod stand. I wasn't moving so they didn't fear me, just kept an eye on me, that weird tree. They were popping up their heads now and then. Reminded me of wack a mole. Then they started to walk towards me. Come to Poppa. Look at the direction of the dog noise and walk to me.
    Thank you doggies and their masters. Binga da Bangata Boom! Looks like we eats tonight!

7. Little Ruddy

But why release dogs in the middle of a private lane and not have a hunter within a mile. Just to let the dogs run all over every body's property and ruin the hunting for every one. I wouldn't do it. Got more respect for the land owner. Talked to Gw about it, said its hard to enforce. They are using the right to retrieve law to run dogs every where. This year it's really bad cause we don't have but eight doe days this season. Every animal on my places are scared to death. Be glad when duck season comes in Saturday!

8. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    The dog hunters aren't as strong as they use to be. Remember when they tried to stop us from getting Sunday Hunting period. They failed at that, but got a No Hound Hunting on Sunday in the bill. I said it then, that their days were numbered and someday they would turn to others for support when their sport is in the Bulls Eye. Just keep all this in mind when that day comes. Hound hunting for deer is not as popular as it use to be.

9. RedDog

RedDog Elite Refuge Member

I had one drive up my farm lane last year to introduce himself and inform me he was going to try real hard to keep his dogs off my land. I responded that my wife had a small flock of sheep and dairy goats here and I was going to try real hard to protect her animals and keep them from getting stressed out. He just repeated that he was going to try real hard to keep them off and and I responded again that I was going to try real hard to protect her animals. He just got in his truck and left. Now we have Great Pyrenese protection dogs that would rip a scrawny deer hound to shreds in a matter of seconds. They're twice the size of my retriever

buckmaster1 likes this.
  10. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

I have dog hunted since I was a kid................on huge tracts of land. Our club was 16,000 acres of timberland and about 15,000 acres of surrounding farm land we could hunt. We only dog hunted deer on about 5,000 acres and could keep the dogs in that section most of the time. Once in a while one or two dogs would get across into one of our other blocks and everything stopped until we got them out.

I had never really seen the negative side of dog hunting everyone talks about until I leased 200 acres in Gates County, NC. The dog hunters there are a perfect example of why everyone hates dog hunting and I don't blame anyone for not liking it after dealing with them. They would turn out on the side of the highway and run every tract of land on our side of the road, none of which they had permission to be on. They would ride atvs in through the swamp behind the property, get dropped off and walk in to the swamp and pretty much did what ever they wanted. The landowners were old people and didn't want to be involved so I gave up the lease.

You get around guys that bear hunt with dogs and it's worlds apart from dealing with Bubba and his $#!+ eaters.