Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dog hunters

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter Elite Refuge Member

About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23 people)
    Then you have never seen the effects of dog culling after the season....

2. Norfbay

Norfbay Elite Refuge Member

About 10 years ago, I was driving up 460 towards Ivor and had a deer dog truck in front of me in the right lane. He started slowing down with his blinkers and I was going to make the next right so just hung behind him. As God is my witness, he pulled over onto the shoulder going about 10 mph, the doors on the dog box opened AUTOMATICALLY, and three dogs piled out of the box and into the woods on the east side. The guy never stopped rolling....

I belong to a deer club in Southampton/Sussex that run dogs for the last two years. The club has 5000 contiguous acres. Have never been a part or heard of any conflict. But I have most definitely experienced it on other clubs. The attitude of most clubs will be their downfall especially as the large expanses go away. And like Cascade said, there's some serious animal crime that takes place in January to April.....

Hunting with deer hounds is actually pretty cool when done right and it is traditional. I can personally take it or leave it to be honest. I think it's lazy for the most part, except for the handlers. the draw, I think, is that old guys can sit on their tailgates, smoke 6 packs of winstons, and talk on the radio. Most dont even care of they pull the trigger.

3. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Damn bh1...31,000 contiguous acres to hunt be like "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". Sounds like a lot of leases today in Virginia.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Has anyone ever sued the state on the retrieval law? I seems in conflict with general property rights, especially if you can show damages. Get the right property, right owner, right set of circumstances and challenge the law through through the court.

Get rid of the retrieval law (either through legislation or the court) and you will give teeth to DGIF to deal with the clubs that abuse the system.

5. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

DGIF doesn't want to deal with it. Dog deal is a loose, loose for them. Be pissed off people either way so why mess with it.

6. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Lakeland, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    Find a General Assembly Rep who has some land and run some dogs onto his property then go on the property to retrieve them. Maybe he'll get pissed off enough to do something. (Sarcasm)

7. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Since I'm the new kid on the block up the road, I'll have to adjust my angle on the best way to deal with this mess. Maybe I should send them the tax bill, since they're on it as much as I am!

8. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Trophy hunting will end dog hunting in VA. Look at the other lease thread. Land will be so valuable and at least here dog clubs are losing timber land to well-heeled clubs.
    Now, the dog clubs are still hunting the land even if they don't lease it.
    If they would run beagles instead of hounds most of this wouldnt' be an issue. Beagles don't run deer out of the country and are much easier to catch.
    It is a really fun way to hunt and I've killed a dump truck full of deer in front of dogs. I've never been a part of a club, they just ran deer through property we were hunting.

9. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

I have been at war against the dog clubs for many years. There may be good clubs out there but the ones that run dogs near me are just a bunch of redneck thugs. They don't respect other people, property boundaries, or laws. I have had many many bad encounters with them and I have almost come to blows with them several times. I have the game warden, park police, and local sheriff on speed dial and I don't hesitate to call them. That seems to be helping. Keep in mind, the right of retrieval law does not permit the rednecks to drive a motorized vehicle on your property even if they say they are "just retrieving their dogs".

10. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Lakeland, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    To be completely honest here, I use raise and train beagles for deer hunting. As Hilljack said, they don't run deer into the next county. I would hike with the dogs until the jumped and then I'd stay at the jump site. Plenty of time I'd get the shot because a smart buck will either circle or back track. Several times I had my hunting buddies say the could see the deer coming through the woods stop and wait for the dogs to catch up then just sort of trot off, not run. Beagles don't push them hard. We also would set up before I even dropped the tailgate so we could cut the dogs off. The days of deer hunting with dogs are numbered.