Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dog killed while retrieving goose near Pocatello

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Peregrine, Dec 11, 2013.

1. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

As tragic as it is to lose a dog this way and as wrong as it was of the shooter to shoot at something that he couldn't see clearly, I find it interesting that everyone wants to hang the guy. I guess no one here has ever had a lapse in judgement and acted upon an impulse. To say that he could not have thought that it was a coyote because the owner was fifty yards behind the dog doesn't make sense. If he couldn't see the dog clearly, he certainly couldn't see the owner fifty yards away. I'm not defending the shooter's actions, rather pointing out the 'hang em high' attitude of those not involved. I believe that he should have a healthy restitution to the owner and pay a fine for shooting from the road, equal to that of what it would be for anyone who shot from the road.

2. Txhunter

Txhunter Refuge Member

Wow what a sorry SOB. That is just crazy no charges

3. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Understand what you are saying but the problem lies with the shooters story. H thought it was a coyote. Oh wait he couldn't see it clearly. Oh wait he forgot his glasses....then why the hell was he even driving???

Suspend his license for at least 3 years and fine him $20K that goes to the dog owner. That would be a reasonable outcome.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I also heard that the shooter had made his two hours before heading out to feed his cows
    When he returned from "VACATION" for a week and stopped at the sherriffs office and let his attourney offer $3000 to replace the dog,.. Seems reasonable to me:rolleyes:

5. Txhunter

Txhunter Refuge Member

Lol 3000, ****

6. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

I hate to even say this, but…

The dog owner didn't receive criminal justice, but he can sue the guy civilly. If OJ's in-laws can sue him and win, this should be cut and dry, yes?

7. HEWHOHUNTS

HEWHOHUNTS Senior Refuge Member

Wonder how you would feel about this if it was your dog.

8. oneshot maybe

Well, first I'll say that the facts from both sides don't add up. How about guys just letting the three parties involved, who actually know what the complete situation was, like the type of cover, etc, determine the outcome? I'm sure that no one here ever shot a stray cat that they saw out in the field that might have been someone's pet, right?

Now, if it were my dog, sure I would be upset and would seek the outcome that fit the circumstances. However, I also realize that if it were truly an accident I would accept it as that and question if I didn't have some culpability due to allowing the situation to be created in the first place. It's easy to want to hang someone when you are looking through jaded glasses and you don't have all of the information. As far as this guy's story, if the guy's eyesight were tested and it wasn't really that bad or if he has a history of doing stuff like this just to be mean, sure hang him. Just as the owner saying he was 50yds behind the dog. He should've been able to see the entire incident, in addition to being able to describe the shooter. If the cover was too thick for that, then maybe it was too thick to identify the dog as a dog also.

I'm not defending anyone here, just stating that judgement should be left to those who know the facts.

9. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Oneshot

You are overlooking one key point. IF the shooter could not clearly identify his target he had no freaking business pulling the trigger. And THAT is what he should lose his license over.

10. oneshot maybe

I don't dispute this at all. Like I said, I'm not defending the shooter.
    Ok, let's look at this another way....what is the typical outcome for a guy who mistakes another hunter for game or shoots a turkey hunter because he shot into the brush at the sound? I'm not even sure these guys lose their license.