Dog speed

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by bringitbackpac, Jan 1, 2004.

1. bringitbackpac

bringitbackpac Refuge Member

I started some training with a member here, (Undertaker) and watching his dog Fancy run just blew me away. This ANIMAL/FREAK is1yr and 8mo old and under 50lbs and can run and jump like an antalope, (while handeling great) no B.S. Fastest dog I have ever seen. Leaves skid marks from and to heel! At 6 mo's, my pup still is kind of awkward. I have seen his parents and both are fast. I guess my question is at what age do they really take off.

2. Photog

Photog Refuge Member

Some never do. I am working two littermate sisters and they started haulin butt at about 9 weeks.

3. normant

normant Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, I've got one of those speedsters here. 60 lbs of in a hurry to get somewhere.

I took someone upland hunting yesterday and he couldn't believe how fast and hard she ran. After ten minutes he asked, " Should we give her a break and let her rest?" I laughed and said " yeah, in about three hours".

The downside is that she'll run and run and run right up till she's too sore to walk. I was too ignorant to understand this might be a problem and when she was only about 14 mos, I hunted her all day for grouse. My poor girl could barely walk the next day and was sore for about a week. I've not done it since.

4. Duckinlead

Duckinlead Senior Refuge Member

They learn to pace themselves. Mines can really haul but when hunting upland she has learned to pace herself.