dog stands

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by yogi, Jun 12, 2016.

1. yogi

yogi Senior Refuge Member

What do you guys recommend for dog stands and why when hunting in the timber. What about ramps when hunting out of boat?

Thanks

2. boscoyo

boscoyo Senior Refuge Member

I use the bottom half of an old climber

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I like the free-standing type like a Ruff Stand. Nice to be able to put the dog in the most convenient shaded spot rather than having to find a tree that works for the stand.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of ramps/platforms for hunting from the boat. Other folks swear by them. Just personal preference.

bullpinnie likes this.
  4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Never had luck with the one I have for the boat. Easier just to reach over and help Rover back in the boat.

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I use a Sportstand, but I am not sure if they are in business anymore. MOmarsh makes something similar.

I almost never hunt from a boat anymore, but I hunted a few days last year with a friend that has Beavertail pods on the back of his boat. they were big enough for the dog to sit on, and low enough for him to swim/climb onto.

6. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Yes a tree stand at "3-4" above water level. They will luv it. That is all I used for years!

7. duck recruiter

duck recruiter Senior Refuge Member

If I'm hunting woods, which I normally do, then a climber is what I use. But I also hunt some buck brush flats and willow breaks and that is when I get the "card table" out of the storage room. My boat blind has a dog stand that was fabricated to fit it but more times than not I just reach over and pull the dog in.

8. pickadrake

pickadrake Senior Refuge Member

Another vote for Sportstand. They are now sold through retailers. Google will point you in the right direction.

9. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I have an Avery Boomer 2 that I dislike. It's nice, but has a lot of wobble on a tree that isn't perfectly flat. One that grips above the stand is more stable than mine. If you are going to use the bottom of a climber, mind the size of the expanded metal, and use a mat if they are big. Your dog will lose a toe. Witnessed it, and it isn't pretty.