Dog stiffens

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Field lab, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Field lab

Field lab New Member

Thanks Callinfowl I will ask my vet, the Boswellia Has helped him recover faster but he still stiffens with in a couple hours after the hunt

2. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

I use the Boswellia the night before we are going hunting and immediately after we get home from from hunting. Brandy is 11 years old plus one "weak" hip and it works well for her. We rarely use it during the off season - I don't waterfowl much anymore since my kids grew up and moved away so manly pheasant or grouse hunting!! LL

Doc E likes this.
  3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

That seems odd for a 6.5 year old dog who's in great shape. Have you had him tested for tick borne diseases? They can definitely cause this to happen. My 11 year old black lab got really stiff like you described this year and I chalked it up to old age until he got sore after a 2.5 hour pheasant hunt. Took him to the vet and he had anaplasmosis. He got treated and now he can hunt hard for 2-3 straight days.

4. Field lab

Field lab New Member

He has had that before interesting observation, he is a big strong dog but this has been happening for a while