Dog vest ?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by bbfky, Dec 27, 2017.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Just curious what you all are using ? I hunt over fields and a couple of ponds, never out of a boat. Have a pup that just turned one, he is 85lbs so he is a 2XL, looking for a 5mm, can't find many reviews on the banded or the Avery bodyshield, the boaters vest gets good reviews but looking for something to protect while running across corn fields and these crazy cold temps. Thanks for any advice

2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

I use the 5mm boaters vest from Avery. I mostly hunt fields. Keeps her toasty. Wish I could get her to wear boots to protect her feet on the snow and ice.

3. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

thanks for the input

4. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I used to put leather boots on one of my dogs feet to keep them from getting cut on snow. We lost a few boots on some upland hunts. I put them on him and started using vet wrap to hold them on. Never had any problems once I started using the vet wrap.

5. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

The Lewis Dog Boots work great in fields. They are secured on with duct tape.

6. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

The Avery Boaters Vest are hard to beat. I've had the same one going on 5 years.

Hogleg likes this.
  7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

recently bought an avery asd body shield vest for my 1 year old at the end of October. she has worn it a dozen time or so. had her out this past Saturday and sent her on a blind behind the blind in phrags on a duck along with my buddies Chesapeake and when she came back the check was torn from the top and hanging down. obviously something got hung up on it. there is a lot of bushes mixed in with the phrags. the bottom of the jacket had already started to fray along the edges. she did a couple hunts in corn stubble earlier. Had other avery vests on my other dogs and none of them wore like this one. called avery and they said they had some reported problems with the body shield vest and said they will send me a regular boater type with the handles if I sent them a pic of the torn vest and a receipt. so far good customer service. Lets see if a new one shows up. Need to find another one for Saturday with the temps here hovering in the teens and 20's lately. thinking about a heated pit hunt this Saturday so she may get spoiled a bit curling up a mouse terd bench.

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I've only tried Avery, Rivers West and Cabela's vests and greatly favor Cabela's with Armor-Flex (which doesn't look like much but works) and its zipper-less wide Velcro fastener (for adjustability and ease of use). Have heard of icing being a problem for the Velcro but haven't seen that here, where temps aren't apt to get below the 20s.

9. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Been very Happy with my Hardcore vest. Best fitting vest I have found for a AWS. 22904787_10214198712343046_6693260047245936773_o.jpg

10. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I preferred the Avery Boater's Parka for my old dog, and the Cabela's vest with the wide Velcro for my youngster. Like Rick, I have not had any issues with ice and the Velcro. I have had more problems with zippers in very cold (low twenties) than Velcro. All neoprene vests seem to fit differently, and all will need some cutting/darting/cementing to get a proper fit.