Dog won't eat

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by renoduckman, Mar 3, 2018.

1. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

Woke up Friday morning and my 14 year old BLF whould not eat.

Now backing up some info. Hard luck dog with amazing amount of issues over the years including stomach/pooping issues that we have never been able to pin down. Exactly 1 months ago had the start of an odd pooping issue. Some dierrah, some normal, some soft. We tryed Flaygl and pro pectalin that worked in the past. But it keeps coming and going.

Got her into the vet yesterday afternoon. Inconclusive but vet thinks it's an inflammation/collituts type problem. Waiting for results of test on stool sample. Have a longer course of the Flaygil to start her on again.
    Now she will eat her normal dog food in smaller amounts from my hand or oddly from the floor. Gave her some boiled chicken just to get something in her. She again eats it handed to her. Had an odd thought that something about the dog bowls that she didn't like. But have tryed plates and another bowl. Didn't help.
    I appreciate any ideas.

2. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

I hope it goes well.The only time my labs would not eat is when they were in a lot of pain.

3. SGK

SGK Refuge Member

Obviously, at 14, your dog is not pregnant, but we go through many of the same things with our pregnant females.
    The last few weeks before birth the bitches tend to go off their food and we have to go through many of the same things you are experiencing to get them to eat.
    We go from their regular kibble to canned food to boiled chicken and rice. They go through the eating off the floor thing and having to hand feed.
    One thing we've noticed is that, even after giving birth and going back on their kibble, they still want to be hand fed or eat off the floor.
    We believe that this stems from them having a sore mouth from all the licking and cleaning they do.
    Perhaps you could have her teeth and mouth looked at.
    Otherwise, you are doing everything you can. As long as they keep eating that is what's important.
    Your girl is getting older. Like all of us, the aches and pains sometimes take their toll.

4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Did your vet do blood work? At that age it could be a number of issues. Many times when a dog stops eating there is an underlying health issue such as renal failure. Wishing you and your dog the best.

5. renoduckman

My girl has improved since I posted this, but is not normal for sure.
    Starting Sunday morning, I have been getting her to eat her normal amount of kibble. But it takes work, some hand feeding , putting food on the floor, sitting with her encouraging her to eat. But this is not the normal for a dog that wolfs her food down and searches for more.
    Her mood is normal, and we have been taking our regular walks. This says something for a dog that has been battling IVDD for 3 years.
    I will get her back to the vet this week to follow up and get her mouth looked at.
    Thanks Joe

6. renoduckman

No my vet didn't do blood work. It's been 7 months since that has been done. I think my vet was taking a conservative approach to this, even though I have spent a ton of money with them over the years.
    I understand the kidney issues, as I have some myself.
    Planning on going back later this week. I will update. I go to a large vet hospital with several doctors. Easy to get a second opinion.

7. Sandy Allen

Sandy Allen New Member

So sorry to hear about your loss. Like a lot of our members, your girl wasn't just a pet or hunting companion, but also a loved family member. It's so sad that dogs get old so fast--7 times faster than us, and we get old fast enough! Sandy Allen

8. daberk

daberk New Member

Hello all, I am new to the forum but let me just share my experience for what it is worth. I adopted a lab 4 years ago at around the age of 3. She was in robust good health by all outward appearances and no problems were ever identified in any vet visits. I had an incident where she did not want to eat for a day (2 meals) and then was back to her normal self. Appetite and energy levels were fine. About 6 weeks later the same thing happened. This time she did not want her dinner on Friday night, was very lethargic and did not want to go outside before going to bed. I would have taken her to the vet on Saturday morning if she didn't want her breakfast but she passed away at 5AM on Saturday totally unexpectedly. To this day I don't know what happened and still wonder if there was something I should have caught. Because of that if a lab does not want to eat they get to the vet ASAP. All the best to you.