Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Doggie Depression.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by SAXIS ISLANDER, Dec 28, 2017.

1. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately Milo was lost in a tragic accident a couple weeks ago. It's been tough, but i'm in the market for a new gunning partner if anyone has any Lab litters upcoming.

Of immediate concern is the health and well being of our surviving dog. She's really not doing well. Won't eat, just stands and stares at her toys, won't play, and it's awful to watch. The dog is really, really, depressed.

Any tips out there to get this dog back on track?

2. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

How old is the other dog? Without dredging up painful stuff, any chance what happened to other dog could be at work here? (sounds like "no" since it was an accident). Dogs recognize loss for sure, but at least they tend to live "for now" compared to dwelling on stuff like humans. He or she should come around. Best thing to do is get the dog out doing some things it likes with mom and dad, away from the home and smells of the dog that passed. There are some herbals and acupuncture points that help with dog anxiety issues and stress, but without seeing the pup, couldn't prescribe those. I've always let my dogs see the one that I just put down, but I have that benefit with my occupation. Not sure if it really helps with "closure" in a dog or if they even recognize what has happened, but helped me at least. Again, if you can get the dog out doing something (this cold snap will not help), that may help his attitude.

3. SAXIS ISLANDER

Milo, my chocolate lab, was hit by a truck at the boat ramp. The "other dog" Bailey witnessed it, and sat with Milo on the ride to the ER, and was with her on the backseat as Milo passed enroute. It was absolutely horrible.

Since this ordeal, which occurred about ten days ago, Bailey hasn't eaten virtually at all. She drinks a bit of water now and again, but despite our efforts we just can't get her to eat. Her gait is slow, and she seems like she's just stuck in a fog. I've walked her, tried to play fetch with her, took her on the boat, and all sorts of stuff but no difference in her demeanor. We did some blood tests today and found her kidneys to be acting up a bit. I'm at a loss.

4. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

Ugh. Can't imagine seeing that. So sorry for all involved. So.....no two vets are alike, and just spit balling stuff that may have already been told to you or be what vet is thinking. In terms of kidneys being abnormal. Did vet say BUN? or creatinine or some other value? I ask because if your dog is not drinking (for any reason -- infection, depression, etc.) some kidney values will be elevated, but can return to normal once hydrated. Any other values off?
    If it were my dog (and it is not) and she was not drinking, but showing signs of dehydration, I'd be giving her some subcutaneous fluids with B-vitamins in trying to get her hydration back up. Food wise, I would not want to screw up her gut, but I would be giving her more canned or raw (I use frozen patties and kibble for dog) mixed with warm water than usual in trying to get her to eat something. Even a little catfood (canned) mixed into diet for a few days may entice Bailey to eat. Again, I'd have to evaluate her for stress signs, but there are some herbals and acupuncture points I would use as well. Not all vets have (or believe in) any form of Eastern medicine, so your vet may not provide this service. Just some other thoughts as to what I would do. As long as her blood work is otherwise normal and kidney abnormalities limited to BUN being elevated, I would not get too concerned at this point. But dog needs to drink.

5. SAXIS ISLANDER

I'm thinkin' I need a drink.......

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Saxis,

So sorry to hear that. That is an absolute nightmare and yes you owe yourself a stiff drink.

M

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

very sorry to hear about the news. can't imagine how you and your other dog feel. as much as my one year old lab terrorizes the 10 year old lab I think the older lab would miss her if something happened.

8. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

So sorry to hear all this. I'm not a Vet .. just a PT but there are things I know about all living beings
    You can not seperate the mind from the body
    and on a K9 level never ever doubt their level of comprehension.
    Right now you need to make sure she doesn't dehydrate.

9. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

freakin awful! So sorry to hear that

10. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

We had a lab and Great Dane, got them around the same time when they were both pups. If dogs can be best friends, they definitely were. They spent 7 years together. The Dane died of cancer and the lab was never the same. That was 6 years ago, and she’s still “out there”.

I don’t have any solutions. My condolences for your loss.