Dogs vs Coyotes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Brad's Birds, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I just started hunting coyotes last year and learned a lot with each outing. Tonight was the first outing of the year for me. Weather hasn't been good for ducks, so my son and I went to our favorite spot a little before sunset. Talked to the farmer a couple minutes while his 3 dogs crawled all over us. He got 2 new pups this year and he said we were welcome to go hunt, but the dogs would most likely follow us. They did. We set up along a fenceline with approximately 400 yds. of cut corn and winter wheat in front of us with woods on all 4 sides. Coyotes usually den in one particular wooded area along the field and the wind was right for our setup. We were planning to wait until dark and use the e-caller and red lights, but within 15 minutes of sitting down, a coyote came trotting out into the field about 200 yds away and then disappeared below a slight crest in the field. I hit the caller with a female howl and the coyote popped back up over the hill. As soon as the caller went off, the 2 pups went nuts. They ran out to the call and started barking and howling. The coyote went back over the rise and I figured it was gone. It popped back up about 30 yards down from the first place and stood there. I just had a red-dot scope on my .223 but my son had his .270 with a 3-9 scope. He said he had the coyote in the crosshairs and asked it he could shoot. The dogs were still going crazy and the coyote seemed to be focused on them. I had no idea if it would come closer to "inspect" the dogs, or run off afraid, or what, so I told him to go ahead and take the shot. He killed it where it stood. Ended up being @ 225 yds. I've read quite a bit about how coyotes hate dogs, so long-winded way of asking whether I should look forward to taking the farmer's dogs along each time?? Do coyotes hate dogs enough to come over to battle a couple in this situation, or would they rather stay far away. I'm pretty sure this coyotes attention was held by the dogs and she had no idea we were there. Either way, it was a quick and fun start to my coyote hunting season.

2. smackin snows

smackin snows Senior Refuge Member

I'd keep the dogs away because coyotes will tear them up. If it runs over to the dogs it will be really bad. A friend of my family had some property and a red nose pit bull as a guard dog, one night it got in a fight with a coyote and the dog almost got killed. It had flaps of skin hanging everywhere and the coyote ran away untouched

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

go to YouTube and watch videos on people hunting with decoy dogs, they train their dogs to run out to the coyotes, then run away from them, the coyotes will chase them all the way back to the hunter.

sometimes the dog will play around with the coyote, square off, and yes, even fight.

but as above, if those dogs won't hold their own when a coyote gets ahold of them, they're in trouble, and in the same shoe, coyotes will pretend to be playing, lure the dogs away, and kill them.

so they wont necessarily hurt you but be aware that if they run off to play with the coyotes, they probably wont be coming back.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Everyone is making comments about 'dogs'. There are different kinds of dogs, and some would kick a coyotes butt. If you got a 40lb lab, could be a problem. My buddy has a 75lb Griff, and he has torn up some yotes on his trap line. Live yotes.

Just came back from chasing/trapping yotes in Central Mt. I had my lab with me, and I expected to leave her in the truck when we went on calling sets. He said no, bring her. Now, she doesn't get too far away, maybe 40 yards, as that is how she is trained, it getting in a furball wasn't an issue. But he has friends who have some mutts that go out and play with the yotes, bringing them in. 30-50 lb dogs. After talking with them, he is a great believer in the concept.

5. Brad's Birds

I've just read/heard different viewpoints on dogs. I know some train them on sets to go out and react with the coyotes in order to have the coyote chase them, bringing them into range for the shooter.....I also know guys run dogs to chase coyotes across large pieces of land to where someone can get a shot. So the coyotes are both "dog haters" and want to run toward and "eat" the dogs........conversely, they are "dog haters" and run away from dogs that chase them.

I probably don't have a choice in the matter anyway since the dogs are "farmdogs" and most likely will continue to accompany me. I'm not really that afraid of them getting attacked since they didn't get more than 30 yds. from me the whole time....most of the time they wanted to be in my lap. Maybe they will turn into "coyote dogs" on their own.

Thanks.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Keep em out of your lap, and you are gold. Coyotes will focus on the movement, and assume the dogs are the source of the calling. Not on you, with your cross hairs on their chest.

7. Brad's Birds

That's pretty much what I was asking with my original
    That's pretty much what I was wondering....hoping they would be an asset rather than a problem.

8. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

I recently saw a few predator shows on TV using dogs. The most recent the dogs ran after the coyote and bit it on the butt. The coyote chased the dog back toward the guns but stopped and started to go back. The dog went after the yote and bit it again. This time the yote kept coming. Seems like a good way to get the yotes from 300 - 400 yards away to 100 - 150 for the shot. All the shows I have seen using dogs has been in an area where they can see maybe 500 yards.