Double Gun Question

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by AGR, Mar 31, 2001.

1. AGR

AGR Guest

I posted a similar question at the shooting forum. I am looking to buy a used 12 or 16 ga sxs. I don't have any experience w/ them but they sure appeal to me. What are some good names and what should I look out for. Do they shoot differently? Are they hard to get used to? Any info would be great.

2. river mallard

river mallard Elite Refuge Member

I personally use a sxs SKB 385 12 ga. What you plan on shooting through it will depend on how old of a gun you want to get. If shooting steel you should stick with a newer gun. I like the SKB and I also own an older Ithica sxs.

3. Illinois Farmer

Illinois Farmer Senior Refuge Member

AGR; You could get an Ithica model 100 or 200 for under 1000 bucks. Great guns I dont shoot steel through mine, got 3 and love em.

4. Colby

Colby Senior Refuge Member

Ruger Red Label O/U, a little more money, but love it for the quick swings on upland.

Colby

5. KC

KC Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Check the Shooting forum. I answered there.

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

AGR: That's a wide field of choices.
    First: are you looking for an all-around gun?
    If so, I'de recommend the 12 Ga.
    Second: Price range...it can run from about $400.00 for an older, descent-grade, still usable for lead shot S x S all the way up to a super-fancy engraved gun for about $50,000.00!
    Most of the Side by side's now are from the famous makers in Europe and rather pricy.
    For the working man it's pretty hard to beat a Savage or Stevens/Savage, Fox or Winchester. These will be older guns for Lead Shot use.
    From a price of about $1000.00 and up there are many good ones out there that will handle Steel Shot also.
    This is just my opinion (because I've had a love affair with S x S's for over 50 years) I don't think you can find a shotgun that has the feeling of balance between the hands and the "handlability" to compare with the S x S. Two of my Sons have O/U's...one a Ruger, the other an SKB...and both of them handle extremely nice. I've shouldered a Beretta O/U in 28 Ga. that was truly unbelieveable....uhhh....it was $12,500.00!(beautiful inlaid Gold and Silver engraving).

I'de suggest you put a post on this site to KC...I think he could tell you a lot more than I can.

7. Delta G

Delta G Elite Refuge Member

If you want a "new" gun, check out the new upper end line of Huglu shotguns--a friend of mine is the importer--Mark DeHaan over in Idaho--just type in Huglu and search and his site will come up--they are made in Turkey and are very well made and a good value for the money--you can email him for more info at hugluusa@srv.net Besides these, the base model Weatherby O/U is an excellent gun for right at $1,000--beautiful gun, no engraving, rounded pistol grip stock, etc., and made in Japan by SKB.

8. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Try and find a used Browning Side x Side (bss) or an older Beretta. A friend of mine picked up a really clean double trigger SxS Beretta with fixed chokes for $600 at a sporting goods store in Mobile.