Dove Hunt'n

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Lame-Duck, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Just curious......how many of you gals are gearing up for the dove opener on September 1st? Out here on the left coast (San Joaquin valley), we have quite a few dove as a result of what was prolly a pretty good hatch this summer. I suspect most of the traditional dove areas in the state will do pretty well. Over the past few years we've had a tremendous influx of the Eurasian Collard dove, and we can shoot them in addition to our native Mourning Dove. In fact there is no limit on these recent exotic birds. They have spread like wildfire throughout the state, and now I'm seeing them all over the place.

Last season, I got my daughter, Kimberely (and son, Marc) out for the opener and she plans to shoot with me again this September 1st.

[​IMG]

Opening day 2009

2. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Senior Refuge Member

That's a great picture Mike! Hope you guys slay em! Lord know's I've been seeing plenty of them around my place.

I'm a bit too busy right now, we're planning a trip to Grants Pass OR right now for a little mini vacation on the river. We've been fishing a lot between the Feather river for salmon and Half Moon Bay for ling's/rock fish. Been dog training a lot too as I acquired a new little puppy, her name is Delta. She's been consuming a lot of my time and I still have Cabo to work and then there's the horses one with summer sores that I'm doctoring and the other cut his leg when my sister in law had him. So it's out for me, but hope ya whack em good!

3. Lame-Duck

Val....It does indeed sound like you are a busy lady. I hope you find a little time to shoot a few. We've been trying to pin em down, and if all goes well, we should have at least some good shoots.

4. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

Certainly want to get out and try my luck on those little buggars. The weather here is suppose to be pretty warm, so either early morning or late afternoon. Been seeing quite a few of them around the area and live near a game farm, might ask to sit on some of their fence rows. Good luck to all that go.

5. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Ready, Set and waiting on the GO!

Great picture Mike!

:tu

6. Lame-Duck

Hi Kimmie......I haven't talked to you in awhile. I hope all is well with you and yours, and may the dove gods smile on you.

Mrs Ripline....Good luck to you too with the dove. It sounds like your plan to hunt on the fence rows of the game farm might be a great idea.

7. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

Forcasted temps for Wed. are 88 degrees, might wait until the cold front comes through on Thurs into Friday. Come on fall!

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Of course we had to take my wife out on the next hunt!
    [​IMG]

This year, she is expecting any time, and has opted to stay home and sleep in.

As I just posted on another site I am hoping not to have this conversation on the opener (tomorrow):

"Ok baby, I just need one more bird, and I will be right home!"

9. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on the little one coming! Hope you do well today!

10. Lame-Duck

My 2 kids (Marc & Kimberly) and I had a really nice shoot this morning. Kimberly had to leave by 7:45 in order to make it to work on time, so we really were "under the gun" to finish early and have her shoot her own limit. It was quite slow at first, but about 6:30 we started getting a decent flight. We made it with 3 limits and Kimberly really shot well.....she even got a Scotch double. I do believe that dove hunting is now in her blood forever. She's shooting a 20 gauge Browning Citori that I had fitted for her, and that makes all the difference in the world as far as her shooting well.

[​IMG]